• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you teach me courage ?

Hello Beautiful People,

So I probably posted about it once or twice before. But I stood still.
It's been a while now that I feel it's time for surgery. I have one big, undeniable stricture at my TI, and it ain't going anywhere unless they remove it, as much of it is fibrotic.
Thank God for the prednisone. However, those rounds of steroids are becoming too common, too banal. A God send it is, but you got to know when to stop.
O yeah, I know what I got to do.
And in the meanwhile, I am so full of self-blame, not taking action sooner; in many aspects of
life, and specifically Crohn's.
And now the pain, now the sorrow.
So I hope this time I gain the courage, determination, strength, and self of sense, and I get the procedure done. For a better health, for an enabling future.
It's hard to lead normal life when you got no 'spare'. I managed, yes.
But the situation has become too
delicate; if I am a little too tired,
or if I did not keep an eye on every crumb I get into my mouth, trouble will wait just across the corner; in the form of the excruciating pain of a stricture; and even if I do watch myself really well, the spontaneous Crohns inflammation can drop a visit and add on to the fibrotic layer...
I am very hesitent. Very much afraid. But I am a big (worried) boy now, and it's time to get ahead.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi worridboy, I have had surgery and it has improved my life no end. I have not looked back so far, 2 yrs today in fact. I know it can be a scary thing to do. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and say "I need to be well, let's do this".
I hope you can find the courage and it helps you feel so much better.
Sending support and hugs and best wishes to you.. Be sure its what you want and need then you will feel better going for it.. 💕

Thank you for your kind reply and wishes.
Do you mind telling how you kept your sanity while organizing
your surgery, etc. How you managed to keep yourself in control,
and release this sense of guilt...
Any tips are welcome.

Hi. Don't keep after yourself for mistakes you made. I had surgery six years ago for a blockage. Get yourself feeling better.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi again .you are most welcome. For me it was a case of i had been in so much pain for maybe 2yrs give or take. I had had such a bad night that in the morning,i asked my sister to take me to the hospital. I packed a suitcase and went to A&E(ER) and told them i am not leaving till i get help as i cant stand this anymore,im ready to slit my throat.slight exagageration but not much.I was admitted and my Gi came to see me,we talked and he said as all else had failed ,surgery is all i can offer you. I just said do it i have had enough now.
Within the week i had been transfered to another local hospital and surgery was done and dusted.
Like yourself i wish i had not waited so long to have it done. You cant change whats happened but you can chage whats going to happen.
I had come to a stage that i kinda didnt care about anything other than getting rid of the agony i was in.Thus i had the courage to say do it. Btw never had any type of surgery b4 and i was 51 yrs old at that time.
I will not leave anything that long again,thats for sure...
Hope this helps . Take care love n be strong 💕💕

Its always unnerving to face something big. I think part of the problem is with IBD we we live in a state of anxiety of when is going to 'hit", how bad, how painful, how long will it last?? SO we are always dealing with the unknown.
If you have your surg, its because you have decided that now is the right time.I wish you all the luck you deserve!

keep us posted and let us know your progress

Lauren