• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Canasa side effects

I have just been prescribed canasa. I take it at night, and the following morning I have a FLOOD of diarrhea. I have only taken it 2 nights so far but it has happened both times. Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, did he diarrhea eventually stop?

In the past I have taken lialda and pentasa and did not have any problems. However my perianal disease is severe and so the doctor wanted a more localized treatment.

Thank you for any help.

I have pentasa (not entirely sure if its the same) in suppository form at night and nearly always have diarrhea throughout the night or in the morning.

Canasa is a mesalamine suppository. Sounds similar enough to me. I should clarify, I don't have any problems during the night. But after I get up the 'fun' begins.

Missy_moo how long have you been taking the pentasa?

I have only been on it for a month now. I get a lot of gas too- not sure if its the pentasa or just my proctitis still playing up. It is annoying but better than what my symptoms used to be!

Thank you for your responses they made me feel a lot better. In fact the past few nights, I have not woken up to diarrhea at all - even for the entire day. So I'm thinking it was more dietary in cause. Or perhaps my body was just getting used to the new chemicals introduced.