• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can't Eat Solids

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Having problems with regular solid foods again. After I eat, I get a lot of pain in my LRQ and URQ/middle (gallbladder area?) and nausea, sometimes to the verge of throwing up.

I guess my question is this: What can I eat that isn't too fattening (in case it is gallbladder), vegetarian, and either liquid or mushy? I already have Ensure, but I get sick of that after a while.

I ate mashed potato yesterday and had a shake last night. That went pretty well.

Any suggestions?

This happened before back in December 2006 and lasted until April 2007... never got an answer. Went to the hospital, 5 (yup, count them, 5) doctors, and nothing.

Hoping for an answer this time.

Santos61198 said:
Having problems with regular solid foods again. After I eat, I get a lot of pain in my LRQ and URQ/middle (gallbladder area?) and nausea, sometimes to the verge of throwing up.

I guess my question is this: What can I eat that isn't too fattening (in case it is gallbladder), vegetarian, and either liquid or mushy? I already have Ensure, but I get sick of that after a while.

I ate mashed potato yesterday and had a shake last night. That went pretty well.

Any suggestions?

This happened before back in December 2006 and lasted until April 2007... never got an answer. Went to the hospital, 5 (yup, count them, 5) doctors, and nothing.

Hoping for an answer this time.
Hiya Ris,

I had some minor trouble years ago with my gallbladder. I was in a fast paced job where i often ate fast food while standing over my desk and taking calls. I had some pain in the same areas and the docs did an ultrasound (i think) on my abdomen and found what they referred to as gallbladder sludge, not yet stones.
I remember having to wear a monitor of some sort for a full day where they could monitor "attacks"

I don't know if this helps at all but I want you to know I am pulling for ya. Please let me know about appt yesterday when you are able.

they described it as pre-stone material. Thick n nasty but not yet calcified. nice huh i kinda pictured it like caviar. :eek2:

I'm sorry you're having a tough time. Can you eat soup? Maybe something like a French Onion soup would be ok... do you have a crockpot? Maybe a soft stew? Feed someone else the meat after you get the flavor out of it. We do the SCD here and even though we can't tolerate milk the yogurt we make doesn't bother us.. so we make fruit smoothies with it (after I've processed the fruit.) IDK.. applesauce? *hugs*

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Soup.... applesauce...... awesome. I have both now. Thanks!

Thanks for the article, Carrie. I had no idea gb's could cause so many problems! :ybatty:

If you have a blender try making some smoothies. And just a random idea here, but maybe some peanut butter with a banana.

Hope you feel better soon Ris, I'm on the ensure, sometimes I live dangerously with a dollop of instant mash and some grilled fish - how are you with fish, or is that a veggie no no?

You can try Cream of Wheat or bananas. Spaghetti for me always was ok, not sure if it would be for you. Hope you feel better soon!

Hey there Mort - may I ask where you live? We eat practically none of that in the US - or at least not in that combination.

When I can't eat anything solid, it's pretty much porridge all the way for me. Don't know about the onion leaves, I have it as sweet and sticky as possible... made with milk and sugar. If that's too much you could try it Scottish style... made with water and salt... yuck!
Hope you get better soon.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Peaches said:
Hey there Mort - may I ask where you live? We eat practically none of that in the US - or at least not in that combination.
Not here in Canada either....he must be from Austrailia??