• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can't handle this anymore!

L

LostDreams

Hi all,
I just joined the CD forum today, and well, here's my CD story. I was first diagnosed in 1977 at age 23. Over the course of 2 years, I was medicated with azulfadine (sp?) and prednisone, and had a small bowel resection in 1979, 18 inches removed. Over the next 15 years, I had infrequent short-lived flairs and managed to live an enjoyable and productive life. However, in 1996, I had an accident at work. This combined with an extrememely rebellious teenage son seemed to cause a major CD flair. I've been in the hospital numerous times since then, on iv steroids and repeated dilation procedures to the area that continually becomes obstructed with scar tissue. And unlike most that I know with CD, I'm overweight. In January of 2005, I found a doctor that would do lap-band surgery on me...similar to gastric bypass surgery but reversible. I was doing great, losing weight and feeling much, much better. But that all ended early autumn of 2005. My lap-band had eroded, needed to come out, and could not be replaced. I went through a severe depression, found my way out of the black hole, and was again trying to make the best of life. By the way, I've been on mercaptopur 100mg for the past 10 years, with antibiotics like cipro and fladyl occassionally, as well as prednisone. I also had hip replacement surgery in 2002. Okay, anyway, I could feel that I was progressively becoming more and more obstructed, and early June 2006, my gastro doc dilated the obstructed area again. It gave me some relief, but within days of the procedure, I could feel that things were still not open as they should be. I went to the ER, on my doc's advice, in July of this year, and the ER doc did a cat scan. They found a new area of crohn's in the colon, and I was put on cipro and fladyl. This offered no relief, and my doc had another gastro doc attempt to once again dilate the obstructed area. He was successful at opening the area to 20mm and also put me on entocort. After about a week, I still wasn't feeling any relief, so my doc took me off the entocort, put me on 40mg of prednisone daily, and added more cipro and fladyl as well. After 4 days on the prednisone and progressively feeling worse, my doc put me on an additional 20mg of prednisone. I should also add that I've had all the typical, or typical as I know them, symptoms, like severe diarrhea and cramping, but my worst symptoms at this point are severe nausea, is either there when I awake or comes to visit the moment I step out of bed. The nausea usually starts to subside by late afternoon or early evening, but by then I'm so exhausted from fighting it all day, I have no energy to do anything. I also have chronic lower back pain, moreso on the left than on the right. And the bloating is extreme...extremely crazy! I've tried not eating, eating only soft foods like yogurt and tomato soup, not eating dairy...none of it seems to make a difference with my symptoms. I live alone, am on ss disability, and don't have much support with finances or things that seem simple to most people, like paying bills, cleaning the house, laundry, and shopping. My son owes me money, and I've asked for repayment, but it has been his choice to just ignore me, at least at this point. My mother is nearly 91 and very wealthy and has willed her money to myself and my siblings, but is unwilling to help me with the essentials now. I do have 2 grown daughters as well, but they both have children and responsibilities. I'm way too emotional and find myself crying everyday, and the prednisone certainly hasn't helped in that department. I've seen several counselors, but none seemed to understand, and the time and energy it took just to make it to the appointments was way more than any return I got from the effort. I have another doc appointment on Tuesday, and I'm pushing for surgery. I need to take care of myself, and right now, I can't do that. Any advice or input any of you may have would be very much appreciated.

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
:eek2: Lost Dreams ... Sounds like you have been through a lot of stuff over the last 28 years. Well, I wanted to tell you first off WELCOME TO THE FORUM. I am GRANDMA BEAR aka KAREN & I am a WIFE of a CROHNNIE and so he has gone through a lot over the last 8 months and so I wanted to just tell you that I found this to be a WONDERFUL SITE & so ... next I want you to know that I will be praying for you that all goes well at the DOCTOR on TUesday and do come back & share the news if you feel like talking ... so take care and join in the games as there is a lot of them to choose from. Take care and if and when you also connect to ZOINTS I am there for you ... take care and see you soon !!

Welcome to the forums. I would suggest right now just to take a deep breath. Focus your inner energy and relax. I find meditation helps a lot.

I hope you get better soon

Kev

Hey LostDreams...

From one parent to another, I know how trying children can be. My last relapse was right after a confrontation with one of my grown kids. Emotions factor into every part of our lives. So, as Jeff advised, take a breather... focus on yourself. You HAVE to make yourself priority #1... It's not selfish, it's self preservation. I would ask that you re-examine your diet... you said you were off dairy, yet eating yogurt... I have tried to find a lactose free or lactose reduced form of yogurt for a while, and so far no luck.. I do know that it contains all of those good bacteria, but if you happen to be adversely affected by dairy, it's very likely due to lactose content.. So you may be probably doing as much harm as good. Have you ever tried acidolphous(sp?)... I dunno if any of this helps, but best wishes from me, and joining this site is a VERY positive step.. You aren't alone in this, none of us are..

Hey Kev, I use acidopholus but I dont right now because my mom bought me the wrong kind. Be sure you get the form of it when it is in a capsule and is dried other wise you will have a horrible taste in your mouth. At least mine give me that. But if I were you I would get bee propolis. I have never tried this due to not finding it in a store near by but it supposedly can stop bleeding in the intestines and soothes them as well.

Good luck

L

LostDreams

Thank you all for your well wishes. I have meditated, and I continue to try to do so, but my thoughts run amuck. Thanks for the advice about yogurt Kev. I will talk to my doc about that as well on Tuesday. There's much turmoil in my family, and I truly believe the stress is causing the symptoms to escalate. That's why I want to seriously talk to my doc about surgery. My family is sick of my CD, and my support system is non-existent. Even caring people tire of being around someone with an almost constant frown. Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate that you all took the time to send a message. Thanks.

Dont worry we are your support group. If you need to vent you can vent here in the venting part. Maybe try to see a pschologist or something so they can help you. Also if anxiety is your problem then maybe an anxiety medication will help you. I took Celexa.

Good luck

Hugs

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
LostDreams said:
/ There's much turmoil in my family, and I truly believe the stress is causing the symptoms to escalate.
Welcome LostDreams! Your thinking is actually thought to be right by a lot of people (including me) so you need to not get stressed by any means necessary. YOUR HEALTH IS RIDING ON THIS!!!

You need to take control of your emotions as best as possible. As someone who has been on high doses of prednisone in the past and many other drugs (usually during your most frustrating times) this is not always easy. But if you are able to realize that your health is affected by your mood and emotions, than you have some control over your disease. Does it help to get all worried and upset over different things in life? It definately doesn't, especially when someone is not appreciating your needs. Just take things in stride, and realize that some of your emotions/feelings are side effects of the drugs and are not really you. Try and find the humour in life and in your situation. When you feel your mind is being taken over and emotions are being created based on the drugs you are on, just realize its your drugs side effects acting up and smile that you have identified this.

Also I encourage you to speak your mind. If you had bad experiences with others in the past, than you can do it here. We are all willing to listen and give our support.

If you can, I recommend excercise in any form also. Can you even do 10 minutes of walking a day? This can help clear your head, give you some energy and make you feel a bit better. Also any activity or experience you can have should be something you should realize you are lucky and fortunate for. Many people will never be able to walk, to see, to talk, etc. so be appreciate for what you have and realize that always... ALWAYS there are people much worse off than you (especially others with IBD).

You are not alone with this though, so please realize we are always here to help.

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

Hi

:welcome: to the forum, i hope you start to feel better emotionaly and physicaly soon, hang on in there things can only get better x we are all hear for each other and its a great site for support (((hugs)))

Kev

LostDreams

By all means talk to your Dr. Question him/her on how come you need to avoid the dairy products BUT are req'd to eat yogurt. It could be that Dr/Nutritionist has opted for a tradeoff.. Benefits of yogurt Vs possible side effects. It is common for a lot of health care practitioners to ONLY tell us stuff like that if we inquire about it.
It is also human nature for patients to figure "well, if 1 serving of yogurt is good for me, 3 would be even better'. I make it a habit of going to all doctors, etc. with a notebook. In it I've listed ALL my questions. (so I don't forget to ask) And then I note their responses... I do know that there are other ways to get the benefits of the good live bacteria that yogurt contains... However, yogurt may be the best method. I haven't given up looking, but so far the best I've found is a yogurt that is 90% lactose reduced... so I'm sticking with my capsules (thanx & tip of the hat to JeffD... BTW, I'll start looking into the Bee propolis - right now I use honey as a substitute for anything/everything ending with 'ose' ;glucose, fructose, lactose....)

L

LostDreams

Just a quick update and again, thanks all. My doc has agreed that I need surgery, am obstructed from the buildup of scar tissue, and since I've been dilated twice in the last 2 months, that's obviously not cutting it. However, he wants me to first have an upper GI again and another colonoscopy (to rule out any other areas of obstruction), and is looking at surgery in approximately 2 weeks. There's no way I can hang on another 2 weeks, the nausea, pain, and bloating have made me unable to function. My oldest daughter is going to call my doc tomorrow and ask why they can't simply admit me to the hospital, do these tests there, and then schedule the surgery. Thanks again all.

L

LostDreams

P.S. My doc only wants me to eat meat and eggs until after the surgery.

S

scottishgirl

hi lost dreams and welcome to the forum, theres a lot of friendly helpful people here who will often have some info or advice for you.
i have to say its people like you who make me buck up and stop whinging about my CD, sometimes it takes hearing someone far worse off than yourself to realise how lucky you are.
god bless you and ill be thinking of you over the next few weeks. x x

Kev

I hope that they are able to fast track your surgery. If that fails to work, and you are really desparate, this might work (I dunno what part of the world you live in, I only know that where I live, I've been told by a number of medical practioners this is what they would do/advise IF I were in a similar situation - however, it carries a risk).. (since my GI is off for 6 months, this was un-official, last resort info in case I deteriorated) My last resort plan is to go to an Emergency department.. There it's a case of either they do enuff to get me out of a last resort condition or admit me. If admitted, and surgery is required (which is the sort of last resort case I'm talking about) then they'd do the surgery. Emergency cases take priority over any scheduled surgeries... So you go to the top of the queue. Here's the risky part. You have little/no control over who does the operation... it's the on call surgeon! It could be the best surgeon they have, or the lowest ranked surgeon on duty. It's a crap shoot... (oh, god, did I really write that last part.. my brain is mush).
Anyway, things in your part of the world may be different, but it's a common tenet of the medical profession to fast track emergency cases (simple logistics and cost effective method).. Get them in, get them under the knife, and get them out quick!
It's emergency medicine, and if you truly feel that you're in an emergency situation
AND are prepared to accept the risk, then this last resort method should be there.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Good luck LostDreams and I hope that you get into the hospital fast. This will all be over with soon, so stay positive and soon you will be up to full strength.

V

Valentina

hi Lostdreams, and welcome to the group. good to hear that you have some answers about surgery at least.. sorry your feeling so down right now, just hold on best you can.. this site can help at least make a bit of the time go by ;) and were all here for a listen. before you know it the 2 weeks will be past, and you will be on the road to your new better self. in the mean time, take care, and let us know how its going.

L

LostDreams

Hi Again,
Had an upper GI done last Thursday...haven't heard the results of that yet. My gastro doc insisted that I see someone about my depression. Saw an internist on Tuesday. She put me on Ativan temporarily for the anxiety, and it helps with the colon spasms as well. It's been a god send. She also ordered an MRI of the lumbar spine...she says my doc's a good doc, but she'd just feel more comfortable ordering an MRI too. I have that as well as a colonoscopy tomorrow. And I have an appointment scheduled with the surgeon next Wednesday. I'm actually feeling like it's soon going to be over, and I'll be feeling well again, at least a lot better than I have for a long time, and I'm more than happy to settle for that. Once again, thanks all. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. You're all remembered in mine as well. Take care.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
LostDreams,

I am so glad that things are moving well for you. Good luck for the colonoscopy (but you don't really need it :)) and I hope that the meeting with the surgeon will result in a quick wait until you are back to full health. That should also help with the depression (but it is good you are seeking help for that now).

I know that you will rise from this situation and be able to live a great life once again. Keep us updated and our best wishes are with you.

Kev

After a couple of meetings with my first GI, he asked me if I was feeling depressed.
I recall feeling almost as if he had insulted me. Like he was implying that my state of mental health was the real problem. I told him in no uncertain terms that I am a very upbeat, positive person normally, just that I was 'sick N tired' of being 'sick and tired'. In any event, I did consult with my GP, who prescribed something. Odd thing was that it helped, albeit indirectly. The up & down mood swings that I have since come to realize are part N parcel of IBD settled down. No 'eureka, I'm cured' from those pills... but an overall improvement on my view of my situation.

V

Valentina

LostDreams said:
She put me on Ativan temporarily for the anxiety, and it helps with the colon spasms as well. It's been a god send.
It is isnt it? I like to just know I have them, and I can relax a bit. glad they help with the spasms as well.

K

Kate

Hi Lost dreams

its good to hear that things are getting on track with you it must have been difficult to have gone through what you have and still have the guts to as for the help you need kudos to you. I hope things continue to feel better and that the possitive attitude sticks cause that makes a huge difference i have found.

All the best hun

Kate

T

thatgirl

i'm so sorry about your family situation...i understand the stress of dealing with family and cd...i am chanting for you...

let me first say that i do not want to convert or offend anyone with this posting it's just something that has worked for me that others may find works for them too

when i first started being consumed by symptoms (long before diagnosis) i tried different things to help with the pain and the hopeless feelings...the thing that worked for me and changed my life was chanting a mantra...i found this in a library book...i found it helped for me to put my brain on constant repeat...it helped me to vent my rage, anger, frustration and pain like a good cry or scream...but it was controlled and relaxed and i did'nt feel so outta control when i was finished...i have since become buddhist and it has saved me from a nervous breakdown...good luck

Kev

Hope that no one takes offense to the suggestion 'that girl' offered, and I think the folks on this site won't. I think the avenues of life offer us each a number of paths. Whether they be psychological, emotional, physical or spiritual, one of the keys to stumbling upon the path that is right for you is to approach it with an open mind. If you explore any or all of these paths, if you go into it feeling that it won't work for you, I think you'll find that you were correct. However, if you try it with a positive attitude, you may just find that it does affect your life in a very positive way. I truly believe in the concept of 'self fulfilling prophecy'. The mind is a powerful tool. So, if you plant the seed there that chanting a mantra, studying Tai Chi, rolfing, accupuncture, or some other holistic approach is going to improve the quality of your life, I think you will find it does.. And, conversely, if you allow yourself to believe nothing is going to help, then nothing will. It's not so much a matter of 'faith', as a matter of 'belief'. Maybe it's time to put some belief in you?

A

ArrisColwell

Amazing how people don't understand...

I'm sorry about the people in your family who don't seem to get it. I hear about that so much, not just with Crohn's, but any disease...My boyfriend's own mother is practically oblivious to his pain and what he's going through. She ends up talking about herself and never really listens to what's been going on with him. We still don't understand why. I think it's not so much that she doesn't care, more that she just can't handle it, and so not talking about it, or acting like you should just "get over it" makes it easier for her to deal with. He doesn't really talk to her anymore, all she does is make him flair :( It's sad, and I wish it wasn't like that, but when he's feeling really sick, I know sometimes the best thing is for him to just not answer her calls. :/ I know that sounds REALLY REALLY BAD, but it just goes back to the whole self preservation thing. I don't really have a whole lot of advice...I just kinda bumble through life! LoL I know the best thing, for him AND for me, has always just been laughter. Laugh, laugh, LAUGH! For the love of god, you can NOT laugh to much and it ALWAYS helps. Even if it kinda hurts...lol Just keep coming here, this is all the support you need! :) Best of Luck!

Katie