• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can't take Pentasa what now?

I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis and have suffered for years with choking in my sleep. I used Dippentum for years for the Colitis with no side effects and while not perfect control, most days went fantastic, now that has been discontinued and I am allergic to Sulfur I have been put on Pentasa but find I am choking every night and it is getting worse to the extent it has become life threatening any advice would be very welcome.

I choked on my food sometimes. They started me on Protonix and the choking has mostly stopped. I don't know if that would be the case in your situation but you might ask your doctor.

Scipio

If you are choking only in your sleep, have your been tested for sleep apnea? Perhaps a consultation with a sleep medicine doctor is in order.

my little penguin

Staff member
When was your last scope for EoE ?
How much furrowing do you have in your esophagus?
What are you using to treat your EoE ?
Swallowed steroids or diet ?
Are you choking on other foods ?
Out of control EoE can cause chocking

Pentasa can be opened and the beads poured into applesauce
Please ask your GI
What about another 5-asa

https://apfed.org