• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Capsule Endoscopy Moved Too Slowly To Capture Images. What Next?

So I finally got a call from my GI doctor and the medical assistant informed me that the capsule endoscopy did not capture the entire small bowel throughout the 8 hours. In other words, it was moving so slowly that after 8 hours it hadn't even passed through my small bowel.

She suggested that the doctor either wanted to do the capsule endoscopy again (really? With it moving so slowly, couldn't it get stuck?). Or do a small bowel series - which I have already done but it was by a total incompetent GI doctor who I moved on from.

I am wondering if any of you might have any suggestions for this doctor as to what to do next? I'd like tests to find out if I have SIBO, parasites, and/or a new colonoscopy because my entire left side hurts. However, I am also wondering if I have bowel motility issues (which seems obvious) and I need to finally be put on prednisone and/or antibiotics with a good probiotic regiment (which I am already on). I really, really think I need antibiotics immediately.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the next set of tests I should do? I've heard of this MRE and it also sounds important.

kiny

(really? With it moving so slowly, couldn't it get stuck?)
I don't know the technical term, but before the procedure of the real capsule, you're supposed to get one that dissolves, so they can determine if there's a risk. Did you get one of those?

SarahBear

As kiny said, you can try the fake pill beforehand if you're concerned about it getting stuck. Did you have any issues with the last one getting stuck? I'd say if it passed fine (although slowly), it's likely the other one would as well. The issue doesn't sound as if it's related to narrowing in your intestines.

I'd ask for testing for gastroparesis, if I were in your situation. I believe the common test for that is called a radioisotope gastric-emptying scan. An endoscopy or a barium x-ray could be helpful as well. Have you had either of those done before?

PsychoJane

I'll agree with the previous two to ask for a dummy pill if you are worried for it to get stuck. Also, I was wondering if you have been moving a lot during the time of the exam? I know I have seen a great difference between the times I had it done and remain mostly seated (walking the bear minimum every few minutes) and the time I did it and walked much and did not lay or sit much. First time took like 15ish hours to get out while the latter took about 4 hours (I know that because I have an ileostomy so it is really just covering my small bowel.

I didn't get the dummy pill, and the real one did get stuck right at my rectum. Led to a week in hospital trying to pass it. I likewise had a really slow transit time - it didn't clear my already shortened small bowel. They should at least be able to tell you if there was any involvement in the parts filmed. That may provide some clues.

Hi KnightRobby, just because the capsule didn't get to the caecum before it ran out of batteries doesn't mean you have a blockage.

I would get an abdo X-ray in the next week or so, just to ensure you have passed the capsule.

The information you need is how long did the capsule remain in your stomach before getting into your small bowel, if it was a long time, then the next capsule can be inserted endoscopically and placed directly into the small bowel and bypass the stomach. The other issue to check with is was there an obvious stricture when the capsule got stuck, which would make that abdo X-ray a little more important.

Finally, if you do go for a repeat capsule, ensure you take a prokinetic tablet to help move it along (ie. motileum).

Best wishes.