• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Capsule endoscopy

Hi guys, if you havnt seen my story thread my basic history is undiagnosed upper left pain and reoccurring flares of bloody stools. Two endoscopy , colonoscopy, ct scan , all normal , and am currently waiting capsule endoscopy which I been told is in two weeks time.
Has any one had any experience with this procedure and what sort of results did it yield ?
Also will this procedure show any stomach problems like ulcer and gastratitis; from my understanding it is too look at the small bowel but if it's passing through will they also look at the stomach also ?
Thanks in advance

Scipio

I have had a capsule endoscopy. In my opinion its view of the stomach would be very limited since it doesn't spend much time in the stomach. But that's okay because the doc can easily view the stomach himself via routine upper-GI endoscopy (similar to a colonoscopy but started from the other end).

As you say, the capsule camera mostly provided a view of the small bowel. My GI showed me a portion of the images. Played in fast motion it looked a like a thrill ride through some sort of tube in an amusement park. He slowed it down when we got to the terminal ileum and I was able to see a few of the aphthous lesions that were key in arriving at the final diagnosis.

The capsule endoscopy was painless and relatively easy. About the only complication that arises is when it gets stuck somewhere in the gut, but that is pretty rare unless there is a serious stricture somewhere to block it.

I have not had this procedure but would like it given the chance.

I am interested to know just how far up my small bowel my inflammation goes and as far as I know this is the only way to achieve this. My Colonoscopy showed inflammation at the very bottom of the Ileum and my MRI showed some thickening of the last 30cm of the Ileum so I know the inflammation goes at least that far up. But maybe it goes further without any thickening yet ?

I hope the procedure goes well. I am interested to hear if it yields any information about your upper-left pain as we share that symptom. As I mention on your other thread I am attributing this to trapped wind in the upper left colon which appears to extend up almost beneath the rib cage.

Ernie

Honey

Staff member
Hi Wilbur, They don't often do that test but it shows all. My Crohns was diagnosed with this test when previous Colonoscopies did not go far enough to do so. It is an easy test, just fasting from the day before . You will be given instructions re diet. Good luck, may all go well for you. Best wishes.:rosette1::panda-wave-t: