• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Carrageenan: How a "natural" food additive is making us sick

I've been doing very well with my diet of late. I have a list of safe foods to eat, and with this over time I've become decently well to the gut. It is becoming rarer and rarer for me to be ill.

I recently found out that carrageenan isn't good for my stomach. I enjoy weight lifting. After working out I'll often eat some turkey lunch meat for protein. What I didn't realize is that some turkey meat brands add carrageenan. It wasn't till one day to my surprise noticed the ingredient on the AppleGate brand package.

For awhile I was questioning if turkey should be on my safe food list. Sometimes turkey was safe, while other times suspected turkey lunch meat caused an upset stomach. What I found is once I stopped eating the turkey lunch meat that added carrageenan, I have not had stomach issues with this meat.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Would you be able to add that into the wiki entry on carrageenan Beach?

I will certainly be keeping an eye out from now on and will add to the list any products that I find.

Dusty. :)

Well not sure what to do with this info. Ensure and Boost and Pediasure Peptide all have carrageenan in it. Any suggestions for those who need supplemental liquid nutrition? Fortsip (not available in U.S.) doesn't seem to have it but it has maltodextrin which is also reportedly something to avoid.

nogutsnoglory

Xmdmom it's definitely disconcerting to me as well. I drink Orgain which also has carrageenan. I emailed the company to complain but they insist theirs is "food grade" and safe. I think it's not safe and should not be ingested.

Ensure clear while full of other bad ingredients does not have carrageenan so that may be an option for you. I think there is a version of boost that doesn't have it either but it may have fiber.

Would you be able to add that into the wiki entry on carrageenan Beach?

I will certainly be keeping an eye out from now on and will add to the list any products that I find.

Dusty. :)
That's a good idea Dusty. I'll add to the Wiki entry about AppleGate Farms turkey lunch meat having carrageenan added to it, and how I suspect it to be a problem food for me.

nogutsnoglory

With the Applegate turkey it may just be the casing around the slice. I don't know what you call that but I think maybe if you cut around it the rest should be carrageenan free?

It could be. There is a somewhat jelly like substance around the AppleGate turkey.

The store I bought this at is small, and as a result I've gotten to know the owners. They now stock Organic Prairie turkey lunch meat for me, which doesn't have the carrageenan in it. I've been better since I've made the switch.

That is one thing though with observations. It's not easy to say with certainty about these things. It could be coincidence. With what others have mentioned about the problems with carrageenan, and my brief observation, figure I'll be safe and just avoid.

nogutsnoglory

I love the Organic prairie and that's also pasture raised which is healthier. It's a bit hard to find but when I do I stock up on those.

Someone should create a change.org petition towards major companies to stop using carrageenan. Once the big guys change the policy the little ones will follow suit.

i recall reading scientists using cargeenan to experimentally induce colitis or colonic inflammation, to simulate IBD.

then i wondered if my daily consumption of soy milk(silk brand) may have played some role in setting me up for crohn's.

i believe it may have contributed a bit, but antibiotics pretty much was what brought it on full force for me.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Boost Fruit Flavoured Beverage does not contain carrageenan, however, vitamin levels seems to be a bit lower when I compared it to Boost High Protein Shake. FYR, it is also lactose and gluten free. It comes in three flavours - wild berry, orange and peach. I just purchased a variety pack today but my son hasn't tried any yet so can't comment on taste.

my little penguin

Staff member
The study you cited was using degraded carragean ( low molecular weight) which is NOT permitted in food.
Undegraded carragean( very high molecular weight) IS permitted in food and is NOT given to lab rats to induce inflammation.
Not saying not to avoid carragean . We avoid it as well
Just making sure we are clear on the facts in the studies ;)

David

Co-Founder
The study you cited was using degraded carragean ( low molecular weight) which is NOT permitted in food.
Undegraded carragean( very high molecular weight) IS permitted in food and is NOT given to lab rats to induce inflammation.
Not saying not to avoid carragean . We avoid it as well
Just making sure we are clear on the facts in the studies ;)
From our wiki:

Carrageenan is thought to be harmless and is an additive in many Organic Foods. However, when Carrageenan interacts with stomach acid or bacteria in the Gastrointestinal (GI) Tract, small amounts of a "degraded" form of Carrageenan (dCGN) is produced.

The powdered version of Ensure, that you mix with water, to make the shakes does not have Carrageenan either.

Catherine

Anyone trying to avoid carrageenan in Australia or New Zealand please note it also appears on labels as 407.