• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CAT scan colonography

Trysha

Staff member
having lots of pain right now ans a cat scan colonigraphy has been ordered
for 12thJuly.
does anyone have xperience with this test
any advice would be welcome
trysha

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Is CAT scan the same as CT scan? I just had a CT scan yesterday. Are they having you drink contrast and/or doing an IV of contrast?

My experience was that it was pretty easy. They told me to not drink or eat anything for 4 hours prior to the scan, and I had to show up 1 hour prior to the scan to start drinking the barium. I've heard varying reports of what the barium is like; for me, it was contrast mixed with lemonade. It tasted mostly like lemonade, just a little thick and chemically tasting. The worst part was that I had to drink 3 big glasses of it in 1 hour, and it made me a little nauseous. I didn't vomit though.

The scan itself was easy, it only took about 10 minutes. When they put the IV of contrast in, it felt really warm throughout my body for about 30 seconds, and it also gave me a feeling like I peed my pants (apparently that's a really common reaction to the IV contrast, but the feeling didn't last long and obviously I didn't really pee myself).

The barium does have a dehydrating effect and can cause almost hangover-like symptoms the next day (I've had a bad headache all day because of the barium, it's finally starting to ebb 24 hours after the scan). Make sure you drink a lot of water after the scan to minimize that effect.

Oh, one more thing - if you suffer from claustrophobia, don't worry. The scanner isn't a big enclosed thing, it's like going into a donut. And your head never goes in, it only goes up to about mid-chest level.

I hope that helped you somewhat. Like I said, that was just my experience, others have experienced different things. But all in all it's a pretty easy test to get through.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Cat-a-Tonic,
thank you for the swift reply.I hope your headache soon goes away for you.
I did have a cat scan last year that was a double contrast.,had to drink a litre of "swamp" water aka oral contrast one hour before and also had iv gadolinium contrast media., with the same warm reaction as you experienced.Unfortunately
they don't seem to flavour anything, wish they did.I live in Canada.
The test itself was ok and took about 20mins..
But for 10days after I had profuse d and pain.
The colonography cat scan is different and is like a virtual colonoscopy, and checks the inside of the ascending, transverse and descending colon.It can also find other things in the abdomen
After clear fluids for two days before,the prep is with picolax and dulcolax the day before, then nothing to eat or drink till after the test... Oh joy!!
You have to go to radiology two hours before the test, and drink about a cupful of stuff.
Then two hours later they do the test.
I am interested to hear experiences of this particular test.
I feel very nervous about having it at all.,but don't know what else to do.
Actually there is very little choice since the GI is the one who decides which test.
I am so tired of all the testing and few answers.
I have been diagnosed with Crohn's in the sigmoid colon ,ulcers in the duodenum and GERD., also diverticulosis.Upper endoscopy,The CAT scan and colonoscopy found these.
Treatment has been with cortifoam enemas, and nexium.
Currently the lower left quadrant pain abdomen is getting unbearable at night, and seems to be progressing. My PCP prescribed a ten day course of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole and I am half way through this.
Thank you for the response, it is always helpful to talk to others and learn their experiences
Trysha

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Trysha, sorry I misunderstood which test you were asking about. I've never heard of colonography CAT scan before. It sounds interesting. Wish I could give you some information on it, I hope someone else is able to give you the answers you're looking for! Could you talk with your GI to see if this absolutely has to be the next test? My GI wanted to do an endoscopy but it didn't make sense to me since my pain is in the lower abdomen, so after I spoke with him he changed his mind and ordered the CT scan instead. Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Cat-a-Tonic,
Please don't be sorry ,I was so glad of your reply and to learn of your experiences.
Once my GI makes a decision he does not chnage it.
He did a sigmoidoscopy two weekd ago and said at that time it did not explain the pains and therefore he would like a CAT scan " with something added"
I have only just been informed of the CAT scan colonography.
Apparently this test is done for people who may be weaker and unable to undergo regular colonoscopy.
The radiologists prefer the dulcolax and picolax preps, since it leaves the intestines drier and gives better pictures.
They do not want the Kleenprep 4litre stuff.
Sometimes air is pumped into the bowel for greater contrast and I was hoping to hear from others that this was not their experience. I just hope I don't have to endure that as well.I have not been told this is going to happen, but then they don't always post such "bad news" with the prep instructions in my experience anyway.And thats the truth!
I just don't feel good about this test.
, and which is why I am interested in others experiences.
Will let you know how things go.
Thanks for talking to me.
Trysha
He said that he would not like me to have the rigor of regular colonoscopy at this time.

You're right, sometimes its called a "virtual colonoscopy" because the views are similar to a colonoscopy without getting a camera up the butt. The drawback is they are unable to biopsy anything, so if they see something suspicious, you have to get a real scope then too.

Trysha

Staff member
hello Heather
thank you for the message
did not know this would happen thought biopsies could be done in radiology
so what's the point of having the colonography
trysha