• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CD and ischemic colitis...

I have had bleeding for the last 3 days, and a lot of it.

I have CD and my GI doc thinks is ischemic colitis. I thought you got that our to trauma. When I joined in 2012, I was given the same Dx and i am pretty sure he said it was the same thing as having CD in my large colon.

Maybe I am fuzzy in the head- seriously- due to blood loss but, can someone
help me understand this??

Thank you,

Lauren

I have had bleeding for the last 3 days, and a lot of it.

I have CD and my GI doc thinks is ischemic colitis. I thought you got that our to trauma. When I joined in 2012, I was given the same Dx and i am pretty sure he said it was the same thing as having CD in my large colon.

Maybe I am fuzzy in the head- seriously- due to blood loss but, can someone

help me understand this??

Thank you,

Lauren
Colonic ischaemia is generally a different sort of problem. You can have bleeding from the colon just as a result of CD that is not well controlled.
Ischaemia implies that the blood supply to the colon is impaired, and could be an urgent concern.
Maybe get back in touch with your doctor and check what they were thinking..
All the best!

Thank you for responding.

I saw my Dr on Wed, after trips to the ER on Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday i was started on 40 mgs of pred. On Wed my Dr said I should have no further bleeding, if I do back to the ER and will be admitted. Started bleeding again late afternoon on Friday. Called the office, go to the ER, back I went. The Er Doc didn't even let me finish my bag of IV fluids before he sent me home. I understand my hemoglobin is normal. But not so much the amount to bleeding I am having. I am so tired, don't feel well, and to be honest about the bleeding, I am somewhat afraid. I KNOW whats happening to my body right not, is not normal or ok. I cant stand bring treated like I don't matter!!!

How would I know to come back before I get into real trouble? If you fall down and hit your head, or faint, come back. Ummmm, your kidding right? Like thats the best medical advice you have for me ? Who says stuff like that? I hope my bill is reflective of the type of care I received tonight!

Any advice?

Lauren

Well that strikes me as below sub-par care. Did you explain your GI suspects ischemic colitis? i would think that diagnosis would merit at least some sort of imaging. If there isn't enough blood going to your bowel you could have serious complications. Does your GI practice out of the same hospital as the ER you went to? I confess I am quite confused by your lack of treatment at the hospital. Did your GI tell you what sort of treatment they were to give you if you continued bleeding? I think ischemic colitis is treated with complete bowel rest, which isn't really consistent with running around outside the hospital. I hope you can get in tough with your GI to have him explain exactly what he wants to do. I'm so sorry.

I told the Dr my GIs plan, and that is the hospital he practices out of. I just wasn't sic enough. To be honest I didn't care what my number was, the amount of blood was disturbing
plus I was already on Prednisone.

My steroid was actually raised today at 60 mgs. So my house should be cleaned by morning!! Hate the feeling of this drug, not as much as bleeding though. I still have a hard time understanding ischemic colitis.

Lauren