• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CD and unusual weight gain

Hi all,

CD since 1987. Currently on Imuran and Remicade (since 2016). I've always struggled with gaining weight. I'm 6ft and slim. Prior 2008, I was 133lbs. After a couple of surgeries, I gained 4-5lbs. After my divorce in 2015, I gained another 4-5lbs and been in the mid 140s ever since up until recently. Maybe about a month ago I broke 150. Just now I clocked in at 154. On the surface it's a miracle but deep down I'm thinking WTF? Back Dec-Jan I was extremely tired because I had below normal ferritin which I had corrected but still fatigued with tingly legs and cracked mouth corners so I'm getting my B12 and thyroid checked. I haven't been as active as I usually am the past 3 months and still eating well but I've experienced times like this before and didn't gain weight. I'm 46 now, maybe my metabolism is slowing down? After reading symptoms of underactive thyroid, that sort of reflects what I'm experiencing. Is that common with CD patients?

my little penguin

Staff member
Once you hit 40’s regardless of crohns
Folks tend to gain weight
At 6ft tall 154 lbs is still in the very normal range for BMI
Vs 133 which was very underweight
Underweight puts you at higher risk of flare
So 154 is a good thing

to put things in perspective my kiddo is 17
He weighs 159 and 5’11
Which is a good BMI for his height and weight per Gi
They do not want them underweight
In fact he was told to try to keep his weight at that level or higher
If he loses any weight they want to look at other options (formula ) to boost the weight back up
Since the ped Gi underweight kids flare more and have higher disease burden due to less reserves for the body to use

always good to look at thyroid though
Ds has been tested a few times every few years just in case

Oh I'm not complaining lol Breaking 150 has been a dream of mine haha. It's just unusual for me to gain weight like this and this fast.

Scipio

I haven't been as active as I usually am the past 3 months and still eating well but I've experienced times like this before and didn't gain weight. I'm 46 now, maybe my metabolism is slowing down?
I think you just answered your own question.

Less exercise + same eating + moving into your mid 40s = sure weight gain. Welcome to middle age!

Ditto -- I really don't think you have a thyroid issue. What Scipio said..... You are still pretty thin even at that weight although a healthier weight than before.