• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Celexa!!

Along with my health issues from Crohn's ive been struggling with some very irrational thoughts about my future and how long or short the road may be :'-( but I have a prescription to celexa that I've been sitting on for along time now but for different reasons one being shame I haven't tried them. My question is does anyone else struggle with depression and if so have u tried celexa? I'm nervous about it but I feel like a positive mental change would really help fight this disease also my poor family is suffering from my severe stress and worry I gotta do something for them this is getting out of control. Any advice would be helpful thanks

I took Celexa a few years ago. I was really depressed and Celexa really helped me. It took about two weeks and all of the sudden I just started to feel more relaxed and not be in such a dark place. I took it for a couple of years. I know my family suffered through my depression and were happy when I wasn't so negative about everything. The only word of caution I would pass along, is never run out and/or don't stop taking it suddenly for more than two days. This med needs to be weaned from or you might get sick. I ran out of the prescription and couldn't get out of bed I was so sick with nausea, dry heaving and vertigo. Also I had not been diagnosed with Crohn's back then, so I could not tell you if it interacted with the CD in anyway.

I know it's not gonna heal my Crohn's but I'm sure looking forward to some peace in my mind and some clarity and my poor family need a break too maybe some time with a anti depressant well get me back on the right path of thanking cause I'm pretty sure 90% of my symptoms have came from worrying and 10% actually from Crohn's!! Thank u for ur reply I'll let u know how the progress goes as I get further into full effectiveness.

And how far along before the anxiety feeling leaves? It feels like I have a burst of energy right now not that I don't appreciate it but I'd rather have a calm and collected feeling

I think somewhere around the end of the second week I noticed that I just was happier and wasn't so gloomy and worrisome about everything. After a month you really should be feeling better. Try to take it around the same time everyday. It made me so exhausted the first couple weeks. That major tiredness wore off, but it still made me a tad bit tired during the day, so I started taking it at night and it was fine.

Hi Jison0612! I'm new here, but not to Crohn's or depression/anxiety. I take Citalopram (Celexa) and have since 2006. It is for me, a wonder drug. I believe there is a strong mind/gut connection. When the gut is not well, often the mind isn't either. I was also struggling with very dark thoughts, anxiety and a single panic attack. I still take citalopram and likely will forever.

It took me about 3 weeks to see a real marked improvement in my mood. I started at 10 mg, then went up to 20 mg. I went back down to 10 about 2 years after and have learned to monitor myself to know when I need to bump it up to 20.

The worst side effect I found was the dizzy spells and or ringing or more accurately "zapping" in my ears. That only lasted a couple of weeks and then went away entirely.

Good luck. I hope you find it works well for you.

I was put on a low dose of Celexa about a month ago, after many months of severe depression and passive suicidal thoughts (wanting to die with no real intention of doing anything about it). I have noticed a significant difference in my mood, but it was also (timing-wise) around the same time as my surgery, so having a toxic organ removed may also account for my improved mental status. I did notice some lightheadedness the first few days, but it went away, and have not noticed any other side effects (like the jittery feelings I experienced on Prozac).

For whatever that is worth. :ysmile:

For me I've basically had to get on it to keep me out of the er I got so much going on right now weird upper back pain, shoulder pains, chest tightness, shortness of breath I thank, ribs r sore to the touch, throat tight, bad acid reflux, and Crohn's!!!! Lol and I've already been to the er so many times I'll choice just to sit here and die on my celexa!!! Jk about the die thing but really just over whelmed