• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cereal for Crohn's?

I've been eating cereal for breakfast all my life, but heard that the grains in it can cause it to flare up and sometimes, certain cereal does that too me. I was wondering if anybody still eats cereal or is it your part of NO-NO list. If yes, which type of cereal works for you? Cause I'm running out of cereal that doesn't cause me to flare. :)

Thanks!

Also, if cereal is not your thing, what do you eat for breakfast?

I decided yesterday to try out a low gluten diet (almost gluten free, but allowing trace amounts) so i went out and bought some rice crispies.

Unfortunately at this point i can't provide you with any useful information because i havnt tried them yet, but i figured with them being made of rice they'd be far less 'glutenny' and so would fit my diet better than my old cornflakes

nogutsnoglory

Rice Krispies and Chex have been fine. Most are whole grain or whole oat and that scares me because I try to stay low fiber.

So normally whole grain anything kills me, but my GI told me to eat Bran Buds after I was first diagnosed to help with my diarrhea. It doesn't bug my tummy and is pretty good. I like it in vanilla soy or almond milk. I also like Chex, because there are a few flavors that don't have whole grain, and rice crispies.

Gluten free Rice Krispies and Original Chex, with rice or hemp milk. Definately an aquired taste.
I like the Krispies for a no-mind snack, they take the place of popcorn.

most grains are fine oats and some wheat are fien in my case, but processed cereals with lots of refined sugar are probably bad for crohns.

follow the SCD diet and avoid lactose and sucrose and watch your symptoms improve a bit.

There's a big difference between low and high fibre cereals. The low fibre ones I eat are: Rice Krispies, Cornflakes, Cheerios and some types of Special K. (I actually eat mostly supermarket own brands rather than Kelloggs or whatever.)

Bananas are good too, so I'll add a banana to my cereal.

I wouldn't touch a bowl of bran, Weetabix or muesli, or anything with pieces of nuts.

If you want an alternative breakfast to cereal, white toast is usually a safe bet.

I decided yesterday to try out a low gluten diet (almost gluten free, but allowing trace amounts) so i went out and bought some rice crispies.

Unfortunately at this point i can't provide you with any useful information because i havnt tried them yet, but i figured with them being made of rice they'd be far less 'glutenny' and so would fit my diet better than my old cornflakes
I didn't think cornflakes contained gluten?

There are multiple flavors of Chex cereal which are gluten-free: Vanilla, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Apple-Cinnamon, and Honey-Nut. Just stay away from Wheat Chex, they are not gluten-free.

that's pretty lucky, MC! I used to love Grape Nuts but I can't eat them anymore, as I am gluten-intolerant. Turns out I probably was most of my life and didn't know it. But there were times when I would just love me a big old bowl of Grape Nuts!

Does anyone have any problems with kelloggs's special K? it's like rice crispies but I think bigger and more nutritious? I'm still numb from the regular Rice krispies!

Does anyone have any problems with kelloggs's special K? it's like rice crispies but I think bigger and more nutritious? I'm still numb from the regular Rice krispies!
Special K is fine for me. It's not like Rice Krispies though, it's flakes with various flavours available (make sure your careful of any nut or dried fruit varieties).