• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cereals, what is safe?

Hey guys, just curious as to which cereals would be considered safe and which would be considered unsafe. (ie, is cinnamon toast crunch safe or unsafe?)

Which cereals do you eat without issue? Which have given you issues?

PsychoJane

As far as I know;

I think cinnamon toast would be "safe". The only annoying part being that they are filled with sugar which I personally try to minimize. Also, they contain gluten.

By choice, my favourite cereals are generally gluten free and not too sweet in general (I have a weakness when it comes to the Sunrise Crunchy Vanilla one's [That I would not recommend when flaring because it's quite fibrous]. Other than that, Golden rice Crispies and Chex.

In general, I had no issue with "kids" cereals: fruit loops, corn pop, alpha-bits, golden graham, frosted flakes etc.... But, these are not the best because they are sugary...

Special-K, Rice Krispies, corn flakes, Cherrios were all fine with me.

The "good" cereals are generally unsafe when flaring; ie: musli, whole-grain type cereals (all bran), wheat-a-bix, mini-wheat etc.

As far as I know;

I think cinnamon toast would be "safe". The only annoying part being that they are filled with sugar which I personally try to minimize. Also, they contain gluten.

By choice, my favourite cereals are generally gluten free and not too sweet in general (I have a weakness when it comes to the Sunrise Crunchy Vanilla one's [That I would not recommend when flaring because it's quite fibrous]. Other than that, Golden rice Crispies and Chex.

In general, I had no issue with "kids" cereals: fruit loops, corn pop, alpha-bits, golden graham, frosted flakes etc.... But, these are not the best because they are sugary...

Special-K, Rice Krispies, corn flakes, Cherrios were all fine with me.

The "good" cereals are generally unsafe when flaring; ie: musli, whole-grain type cereals (all bran), wheat-a-bix, mini-wheat etc.
My only concern with cereals like Cinnamon Toast Crunch (apart from the sugar, of course) would be that they are made from whole grain.

I like chex as well, but just bought some cinnamon chex and noticed that it contains rice as well as whole grain rice (for the 2 different rice chex).

I wasn't sure if a cereal containing whole grain like this would cause me to have more issues. I have been eating the chex and haven't necessarily noticed any problems but I was just curious for others' opinions or experiences.

Thanks for the response!

PsychoJane

Oh I have to say I never took the time to consider the whole/not whole grain story when it comes to rice even though I know I would not eat wild rice while flaring. Good point... I wonder if anyone had issues with them. I know I usually don't but then again, almost nothing bothers me.

I LOVE chex cereals (not the ones with nuts in it)
I have to get my chex smuggled into Canada since we do not have the chocolate one or cinnamon up here. I have never had any issues with them, and even use it as a snack food. (so good).
also Rice Krispies. are good but not so much for just snacking on.
When I have a flair up, it is my go to food (when I want to eat something)

porridge is safest I'd imagine.

The new honey nut gluten free chex are pretty darn tasty (and fine for me) if you want something more conventional.

Brown rice Krispies. Can't tolerate wheat or oats. Won't eat anything corn, the gmo thang.

bsv: I mix Krispies, dark choc, dried blue/acai berries and treat it like a bowl of popcorn. I did have to do the trial and error on the dried berries, they are not created equal. dried cranberries, thompson raisins and apricots are out for me.

Thanks Dunbar.

I have done a plain Chex, chocolate chips, I think dried cranberries or something (could also use pretzel sticks) and then add some cinnamon/ sugar for spice. It was really good

Rice is your safest grain,
Anything without gluten is next (so make sure they are gluten free oats)

Rice pudding
Yesterdays rice,
coconut cream,
sultanas (optional)
water,
honey (as little as you can)
banana (optional)

heat everything but banana in a saucepan,
when the rice is thick and gooey serve with sliced banana