• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Change in bowel movements after seton srugery

Hi,

I had the surgery on the 10th, since then ive bee feeling a little off but i have noticed a dramatic change in my bowel movements. I have Crohns and had a seton placed. Since the surgery (4 days now) i have opened my bowels twice (one session lasted 10 mins with on off) but that was on the 3rd day. Normally i would be visiting the loo about 2-3 times a day but now i dont. I am worried about this because the 3rd day was aided by laxatives.

I think it may be down to the surgeon telling me not to strain while opening my bowels to improve healing and not to harm myself; for me however i have always been use to straining until i can poop no more. Is it possible i am avoiding opening my bowels as i dont know how to not strain. I get the feeling i need to open them but it is not at the point where it will fall out unassisted so i always ignore the feeling as i know i wont be able to let it out without straining. is this bad? should i be going more often? is it okay to strain? Should my anus feel tight without straining?

Ive been trying to eat more fibre, stay away from meats and dairy but i havent noticed a difference as ive only managed to open my bowel once . Is this something that i should be worried about or is it normal for this to happen.

Also ive had next to no ain since the OP with it only happening on the 3rd day in my gut trying to open my bowel (i think it was the laxatives). They gave me some cocodamol but seeing as there has been no pain im not sure why i have it. Im able to do everything ive normally done with little complications and im not sure if thats normal from what ive read.

im just not sure if anything that is going on is normal and am worried about not opening my bowels the normal amount (normal for me anyway).
If anyone has had anything simmilar happen please let me know.

Thanks,
Pastel