• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Changing diet and feeling better.

Hi there:

I got my juicer about 3 weeks ago, and I also got a ninja to make myself some protein smoothies.

I usually do a smoothie for breakfast, and a juice for lunch, and our dinners are "clean" dinners.

Now, only a week and a half ago I was in the ER needing to get fluids because I was so ill. I was vomiting and nonstop diarrhea.

I'm doing so much better this week. Monday I started walking again. Putting the baby in the stroller and just going for it. We've logged almost 10 miles in 3 days, I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but just a week ago I was so ill I never imagined I would be able to do it. It's no easy feat! The part of San Diego that we're in, there's mountains everywhere, so its not a nice flat stroll. its constantly up and down steep hills.

Today, I did 2.7 miles and I just cannot be prouder a the moment.

I never believed that diet played that much of a role in how I felt, but now that I'm doing the juices and smoothies, I'm realizing that I was never able to eat and keep enough nutrients down that I needed to help me feel well.

This girl is now a believer! I hope the rest of you out there are doing and feeling well.

nogutsnoglory

So happy you are feeling better and getting to eat healthy foods. The Ninja is quite the sharp tool. Be careful when washing that monster!

Glad your feeling better, may I ask what you have been juicing? I'm looking to start again coz iv been feelin so tired lately, need some ideas and recipes

My favorite juice is 1 orange, 1 apple, 2 Giant handfuls of spinach and a pineapple spear.

I have also done 2 oranges, Swiss chard, and carrots. Those are my favorites so far. Gianni has a great threa on here where people share recipes. You should look it up!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm so glad to hear that you're finally feeling good! You've been through the wringer lately and I'm glad you're finally getting some relief from everything! The walking is great too, I find that exercise helps me feel so much better. Keep it up, long may it continue!

Exercise really does help a lot. I use to exercise all the time before I had Sadie and felt fairly well a lot. Having a little one and a marine hubby who is gone a lot, it's hard makin time for myself to take care of myself, but I'm just putting her in the stroller, walking her to the park and doing my thing :). Everyone is happy. Today was day 3 of walking that far and it feels good!

As far as the nutrition goes, I never let myself eat fruits and veggies much because it just hurt. I tried te SCD and didn't seem to help, but juicing all of my stuff for the last 3 weeks has really helped! Today I had a spinach and blood orange salad with no dressing and it was amazing and it didn't make me feel disgusting!! I felt good!

I've been watching documentaries about food and really turns me off to the processed crap for good! I wasn't eating a whole lot of it anyway, but eating mainly fruits and veggies now, and knowing how well it makes me feel, I don't want to go back to the chemical laden crap ever!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow, I can't remember the last time I was able to eat a salad without any repercussions! That's wonderful that you're doing so well! I'm getting a new juicer myself and this thread is making me really excited to get back into juicing. :) I'm glad Sadie is enjoying the walks too, the whole situation sounds like a win-win.

Great to hear! I've been slacking on the juice situation, but daily I have homemade kefir smoothies. I've got ginger, carrots, apples and spinach just waiting in the fridge...you've inspired me.

A personal note of caution: though you may be just starting the whole exercise thing--another area I'm slacking in other than snowboarding every couple weeks--just respect your body when it tells you to rest. I was jogging/lifting for an hour, 3-4x a week, and I hit my limit. This caused an uptick in my joint pains, virtually my only symptom so long as I eat right, and I haven't set foot in the gym since.

This really is my own fault because I have troubles forcing myself to sleep at a decent time; I'll be dead tired till 9PM and suddenly an energy boost hits me and I overdo it.

Cat- it's been a while since I've been able to eat a salad too. I actually still have like whole spinach leaves that come out the other end! lol. I hope that it's not a fluke me feeling well. I'm still only on entocort for now. He wants me to start methotrexate and cimzia soon. I know that I'm still flaring bad, I just hope I don't wake up one day soon and think I've been kidding myself about feeling better. Even just a week so I was so ill and vomiting everything up. It seems too good to be true, but I'm reveling in it while I can!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Glad you are feeling great! It also wasn't until I gave juicing and Clean eating a chance that I realized how much food impacts your day-to-day life and your ability to get through it.

I personally enjoy any juice with carrot or spinach in it.

What smoothies do you make? I discovered a FANTASTIC one a few weeks ago called a Green Tea smoothie. Really simple to make. It's so good and refreshing I find myself having to fight the urge to make a second one immediately after (I'm on Pred right now BTW lol).

3 tbsp water
1 green tea bag
2 tsp honey
1 1/2 C frozen blueberries
1/2 med banana
3/4 C calcium fortified light vanilla soy milk (I also use regular soy milk and add a
drop of vanilla extract. Almond milk would be good as well I imagine)

Directions
1.In small glass measuring cup or bowl, microwave water on high until steaming hot. Add tea bag and allow to brew 3 minutes. Remove tea bag. Stir honey into tea until it dissolves.

2.In blender with ice crushing ability, combine berries, banana, and milk.

3.Add tea to blender. Blend ingredients on ice crush or highest setting until smooth. (Some blenders may require additional water to process the mixture.) Pour smoothie into tall glass and serve

I also watched some documentaries that cleared things up for me. One was "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" about juicing and the other I watched just last week was "Forks Over Knives". I've watched a couple more but can't remember the names of them now.

If you are into clean eating, you might enjoy this blog. She has amazing recipes and is very interactive with her followers. I've tried a large number of her meals and they are proof that you don't have to starve yourself or lose flavor just to eat healthy.

www.thegraciouspantry.com

Best of luck to you on your continued journey!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I would be the same way if I tried a salad, full leaves (and full tomatoes, ha ha) would come out of me too. Be careful you don't get an obstruction! I ate something the other week with shittake mushrooms in it, and they came out whole and undigested too - I'm in remission but that still made me worry about causing myself an obstruction, it's always worrisome to have whole undigested pieces of food going through you like that.

I hope it's not a fluke either and that you keep on feeling well! :)

That's wonderful that you've found a little bit of relief, after such a ruff experience. Hope the good juicing continues! Never tried that myself. Might have to give it a go in the future.