• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cheapest enteral/elemental formula that works?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the cheapest elemental formula that works to induce remission of Crohn's and which is available in the US. I've used Vivonex Plus, but it's expensive. I'm wondering if Tolerex, which is a bit cheaper, can also act as a complete meal replacement. Has anyone had experiences with either of these, or particularly good experiences with another product?

Thanks!

Also: Here's an article from the U.K. about someone who used an elemental diet, then an exclusion diet, and hasn't had any Crohn's symptoms in 7 years: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1076594/How-tackle-Crohns-Disease-help-drugs.html

Hello Jeff,
Welcome to the forum.
I believe that Tolerex is similar to VivonexPlus in that it can be used as an oral full elemental diet.

Some people use Ensure/Boost although I could not tolerate these drinks due to milk sensitivity and possibly a corn sensitivity (corn syrup).

Beat Crohn's: Getting to Remission with Enteral Nutrition by Margaret A. Oppenheimer is a good resource. She describes a variety of elemental drinks in her book, including info about some that people have created. Be sure to discuss a new formula with your doctor or nutritionist to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients that you need.

Interesting article that you posted. I am following John Hunter's program on my own. After using VivonexPlus as my EN, I have been on the full elimination diet part since August with great success.

Good luck with your elemental journey. :goodluck:

littlemissh, How's it going. Are you coping with the EN, without your tea? I hope that you are feeling better.

Hi happy,
There has been a delay as the prescription got lost between my gp and homeward! Saw the IBD dietician yesterday who has sorted out the regime for when I swap to the elemental. I was a bit disappointed because at the moment I have overnight feed only. With the 028 it is lower calories per ml and you can't have too high a rate with a jejunal feed. So I will have to have the pump with me 24 hours per day to start then possibly go to 18 hours if I can tolerate a slight higher flow.

She is hopeful it will arrive by friday. Hope it does, I just want to get going now.

litlemissh,
Yeah, once you're psyched up to do it you want to get started so it is over with sooner! I do hope that you will be able to tolerate the faster flow--that would make it a lot easier for getting around and getting things done. Two more sleeps!

Thanks for the responses.

Happy, I'm waiting for Prof. Hunter's book to come to learn how best to go about the exclusion diet. I've been on Vivonex plus for about a week -- I think it's working. I don't like, though, that it contains maltodextrin and food starch modified, which I know a lot of times means wheat. But we'll see how it goes. Might try Tolerex for the last week. I was diagnosed about nine years ago, so I'm not entirely optimistic I'll have great results, but we'll see.

Hi Jeff,
My understanding is that in these products, the components of the formula are broken-down so much that there is very little left of 'corn' and 'wheat' etc. I too was concerned about this which is why I chose VivonexPlus as it is supposed to be tolerated by people with food sensitivities and allergies.

I had only been diagnosed for a few months before I started EN and I did not have any scarring, so I was a good candidate for EN.

May it do its healing work for you (and quickly). :ysmile:

What were your diets like following the Tolerex or Vivonex? Like what did your diets consist of and how did you feel after taking this? For example, did taking these allow you to increase your food variety?