• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Chest Pain since Endoscopy

On Oct 7th I had an endoscopy done to see the current status of my Crohn's. I was also complaining about throat phlegm, neck discomfort, hoarseness, achy sinuses where antibiotics given by a general practitioner didn't seem to work as we thought it was an infection. I was told back in June by another GP that it may be LPR, reflux affecting the larynx.

So I had the endoscopy done and my GI didn't see anything wrong in the esophagus, throat, etc. I had a couple of ulcers just into my bowel. 2 days later, I developed a bad chest pain and it really hurt when I breathed in, or moved from lying down to getting up etc. It was centered around my sternum. It eased off but I still have it. I still have bad phlegm, achy sinuses and have a dizzy feeling head. My stool colour is normal, light brown, so a tear somewhere is not likely.

I am seeing my GP Tuesday but I am getting concerned today. I am wondering if its my heart but heart attack symptoms don't quite match what I am feeling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I had pains like that, turns out I had a Hiatus hernia, so my scope did show something. Could be Gerd but if your scope was clear, I dunno. Do you get gall stones at all? They are painful. Good thing you are seeing your doctor but if it continues I would go to ER just to be safe.

I had pains like that, turns out I had a Hiatus hernia, so my scope did show something. Could be Gerd but if your scope was clear, I dunno. Do you get gall stones at all? They are painful. Good thing you are seeing your doctor but if it continues I would go to ER just to be safe.
No, I don't get stones. Did your chest pains come about gradually or did they start quickly? Mine started and was full blown within a hour or two.

Thanks for the reply.

I just got back from the ER. EKG was normal. Blood tests was normal. Chest x-ray was normal. I'm going to see my GP this week to figure out whats going on and what to do...thanks for the reply again Pen.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey I am glad to have helped it is scary and I had normal bp too. Anything you need just holler (pm will do lol)

Could it possibly that the scope has aggravated some scar tissue from your previous surgery, alternatively it could be intercostal neuralgia after the anaesthetic or scope. Just thinking out load were you knocked out completely and possible muscle spasm from being in an awkward position. Hoping it's just something like that generally if it's worse with movement it's something soft tissue ie muscle. Hope it settles soon

I don't think I have Costo. My ribs seem fine and nothing is tender

My surgery was at the bottom of my stomach. They didn't touch the top or esophagus. Can an endoscopy do damage or aggravate the LES?

Thanks again guys

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
It can, they could of scraped a bit but it has never happened to me. Maybe when they did the scope they could of missed something? Colonoscopies can do that so I just wondered.