• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Chinese diet feels better than western diet?

I just travelled within China for the previous 3 weeks and was amazed that besides a couple of sore and upset tummy times, I was generally so much better!

Ever since coming home and eating western food again, I have been getting the pain, weird bm and gurgling. My abdomen is crazy loud as I type.

My question is - has anyone found that an Asian style diet helps with their symptoms? I seriously felt like a normal human for once and even quickly ran to the shops tonight to stock up on chinese style food to try out here.

I believe Chinese food is low gluten and dairy. Try cutting these out of your diet. You also probably weren't eating a lot of processed foods when you where in China. I would suggest doing an elimination diet and keeping a food log to find out what your problem foods are. I doubt the processed Chinese food you get at the shops in your hometown will help your tummy-they aren't anything like the fresh cooked food you got in China.

Two things regarding Asian diet .... Yes the Asian diet helps a lot ( for Me ) but using rice noodles NOT wheat noodles but I can cope with Wheat noodles. and also if I am in a warm climate helps too. I also find If I am ill with a bad cold or flu the crohns symptoms are much less. I put this down to the raised temperature in my body.

What a crazy thread to stumble into.

I just spent a week in San Jose eating nonstop at Chinese places (visiting a company that was majority Chinese). Somehow I was able to eat Chinese green vegetable, bok choy, etc. mixed in with spice (cannot escape it even when I pleaded to make the dishes more mild) without too much damage. I feel if I ate the vegetables on their own or similary prepared western vegetables there would be ... much trouble. I don't think gluten + dairy free is the sole reason as I eat this way regularly, but it probably did not hurt. Processed food? Probably somewhat given the varying quality of restaurants, but not sure either. Any other theories?

I just travelled within China for the previous 3 weeks and was amazed that besides a couple of sore and upset tummy times, I was generally so much better!

Ever since coming home and eating western food again, I have been getting the pain, weird bm and gurgling. My abdomen is crazy loud as I type.

My question is - has anyone found that an Asian style diet helps with their symptoms? I seriously felt like a normal human for once and even quickly ran to the shops tonight to stock up on chinese style food to try out here.
Yes. I've been eating sushi for the past year and a half and my symptoms are completely cured. I have perfect bowel movements and my bloodwork has normalized.

I've been making Chinese and Japanese foods for over a year now, and have cut down on bread and dairy. I find that I don't bloat at all from Asian foods. Not sure if it's the wheat or yeast, but bread makes me bloat something awful. I don't really have too many symptoms right now other than that.