• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Chohns meds side effects - advice, stories?

I was diagnosed with mild Crohns on 5/31/2013. I didn't have any of the typical intestinal symptoms, but was diagnosed following a colonoscopy as a normal procedure to determine the reason for severe anemia.

I immediately started mesalomine. The GI doc advised that damage to my intestines can continue if left untreated.

After two weeks of mesalomine treatment, I was admitted to the hospital for severe leg pains, chest pains, headache and neck stiffness, lesions on my upper arms and across my shoulders. During the full two weeks I had severe diarrhea and had lost 10 pounds. While in the hospital I started running a fever. When admitted I was taken off iron supplements and the mesalomine.

I was diagnosed with tularemia (a disease most likely from a tick bite). After the antibiotics, I was back to normal.

My GI wanted me to start back on the mesalomine. I did, and within three days all symptoms except the diarrhea returned. Went through multiple blood tests and EKG, but off mesaolmine again. After three days off mesalomine my symptoms dissolved.

The GI doc has now prescribed sufazine. Today was my first dose and I'm feeling very nauseous. I want to take care of myself, but I'm worried that the side effects are actually worse than my symptoms at this point. I don't want my disease to progress, but the meds seem to be worse.

Can you give me some advice? Have any of you suffered side effects from the meds? I'd like to hear as much information as possible. How many options for meds are there?

I appreciate your input.

Hi There

I am sorry to hear of your side-effects that you have experienced. I am currently under investigation for Crohns as apart from a whole heap of GI symptoms and Folate deficiency. My Colonoscopy revealed inflammation in my terminal ileum plus I have raised Faecal calrprotectin levels

The consultant gave me Mezovant 1200 and was advised to take this once a day. On day 5 I had the most awful stomach cramps and kept rushing to the loo. The pain was so intense it kept me awake all night. I went to my Gp and was advised to come off them and it took a further 3 days for the pain to subside. I was so disappointed because I thought the Mezovant would be the wonderpill that would make me feel better.

I have further tests coming up and my next hospital appointment is on 08/08/13.

I have not taken any of the pills you mention but am sure there are other members that could possibly advise you. I hope you feel better very soon x