• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia and diarrhea post-resection?

nogutsnoglory

I am wondering if anyone has had success with Cimzia reducing their diarrhea who had a bowel resection prior to taking the medication?

David

Co-Founder
Do they feel they got all the active inflammation with the resection? Have they determined the CAUSE of the diarrhea?

This is also a free bump in the hope that others can provide you first-hand accounts :)

nogutsnoglory

Thanks David, the Cimzia section doesn't get much love.

They did get all the inflammation with the resection from what I understand. Nobody has specifically said why I have the diarrhea but its been like this since surgery. I have been tested for C-Diff, parasites etc and all have come back negative which leads me to believe they cut too much or the disease was just active even after surgery.

Crohn's Mom

Actually , I hate to say it but gab never had a problem w diarrhea until after her surgery and starting Cimzia.
I'm not saying that it is connected to the Cimzia , just saying which order it came in.
Her Crohn's still isn't under control tho,
So that could definitely be the culprit in itself.
She's headed for another surgical consult in a week to see if they want to remove the (what they now believe to be) two fistulas at the resection site.

nogutsnoglory

I know a foot of small intestine and a foot of colon were removed. As for the small intestine the foot removed was the part with the appendix and where the area connects to the colon. I am fairly sure the ileocecal valve was removed but I don't have my surgical report on hand.

David

Co-Founder
With that sort of resection, chronic diarrhea can become a problem and it not be flare related. Now, obviously you want to make sure that it isn't due to a flare, but I suspect it is not. Did your surgeon and/or GI not warn you about this possibility and educate you?

I strongly suggest you read this thread about psyllium husk and see if it strikes a chord.

nogutsnoglory

I'm afraid you are right David but I don't think 2 feet would qualify for short bowel syndrome.

Would psyllium even help if the diarrhea is due to resection? My fear with psyllium is that it is high in fiber and I'm currently stricturing. I do take Imodium but I try not to abuse it because its full of junk ingredients and can also cause an obstruction.

David

Co-Founder
You don't have short bowel syndrome. I'm guessing you have bile salt diarrhea. If that is the case, yes, psyllium can help. Prescription medications are also available that do the same general thing and either way, should be utilized under the supervision of your doctor.

Where are you stricturing and how do you know this?