• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia and Methotrexate

in a flair. did humira and remicade, humira never worked remicade did work. both were at increased doses. I did remicade with Methotrexate injects too.
had to come off remicade and now that I've been off it for awhile getting sick again..about to run the gauntlet of tests MRE possibly scopes ect. If there is inflammation that is fixable my doc wants to try Cimzia with my current MTX dose. If its too bad surgery..
Doc said almost no one does MTX with cimzia because there have been no studies so I need to understand the risks. Has anyone else done this?

I've been on 200mg/1 syringe of Cimzia every two weeks (as opposed to 400mg/2 syringes every four weeks, to keep the levels more constant due to the severity of my Crohn's when I began taking it) with 7.5mg (three 2.5mg pills) of MTX once weekly since June 2012.

This was prescribed to me by Dr. Jonathan Terdiman at UCSF Medical Center after two other doctors refused to treat me because my Crohn's was so bad that I was on a mega dose of prednisone for over a year after having allergic reactions to azathioprine, mesalamine, and mercaptopurine, and having no luck with Humira. Funnily enough, my first GI (we moved) wanted me on Cimzia to begin with, but my insurance then wouldn't pay for it until I tried Humira first.

This has been the only combination that has worked for me, and I've been in remission since I started it.

I'll happily answer any questions you have, if I am able!

Hey MJones, thanks so much for your responce. Did you ever have surgery for your Crohn's?

I just moved states so I had to switch Dr's and my new one immediatly shoved me to 2 dr's up the IBD chain, one of the best in TX. I've had doctors that wouldn't give me meds either because they were too nervous, or ones that threw the wrong combo at me which was a dangerous mix. I did 100mg of prednisone for almost 6 months when I was 16 (yea good life choice). Humira never worked, Remicade I'm allergic too but never worked as well as it should, I did 25 mg MTX inject weekly with the Remicade, now I'm only on 15mg MTX weekly cause it really messes with me. I just don't know whats left except Cimizia azathioprine never worked too much either.

Do you ever worry that the potential complications, eg cancer or liver failure, aren't worth what you are trying to fix? How do you convince your doctors to do the dangerous thing? Have you noticed any side effects of the combo beyond what is normal for MTX or cimzia?

No, I've never had surgery.

My doctor was actually the one that convinced me to try the combination. I should also mention that I take 1000mcg (1mg) of folic acid daily, to negate the chemotherapy-type effects of the MTX.

As of today, I've noticed zero side effects from either MTX or Cimzia. Since I've been taking them and have been in remission for so long, I do plan to discuss with my doctor the idea of reducing, and ultimately stopping, the medications. I'm not in any hurry, though, so I'll be happy to slowly taper.. I think the slight risk, for now, is better than the massive ulcers and other bleedy/painful/life-quality-reducing symptoms that I had before.

I've been on 200mg/1 syringe of Cimzia every two weeks (as opposed to 400mg/2 syringes every four weeks, to keep the levels more constant due to the severity of my Crohn's when I began taking it) with 7.5mg (three 2.5mg pills) of MTX once weekly since June 2012.

This was prescribed to me by Dr. Jonathan Terdiman at UCSF Medical Center after two other doctors refused to treat me because my Crohn's was so bad that I was on a mega dose of prednisone for over a year after having allergic reactions to azathioprine, mesalamine, and mercaptopurine, and having no luck with Humira. Funnily enough, my first GI (we moved) wanted me on Cimzia to begin with, but my insurance then wouldn't pay for it until I tried Humira first.

This has been the only combination that has worked for me, and I've been in remission since I started it.

I'll happily answer any questions you have, if I am able!
I know this thread is a few months old but I was hoping you might read it again. When you say your Crohn's was bad can you elaborate on that? I'm on Cimzia right now my only choice is to add 6mp to what I take or Surgery to remove the diseased bowel. Really the only thing that worked is the pred unfortunately.
I do not feel like the Cimzia is working completely. I have never tried any of the other drugs out there my GI just wont budge ob letting my try something different. Says Cimzia is the strongest. May I need my dose split then if I take the 6mp with it maybe that will help.

I too am looking at cimzia mtx combo. I felt so bad when taking mtx to get rid of the pustular psoriasis humira gave me. I don't feel the greatest with cimzia. Afraid to go down the road of the ol double whammy. Have not been given a surgery option. Not sure I want to do the combo. Doesn't appear to be many people doing this combo either. Any advice or help, thoughts?