• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia in Canada?

We are moving back home to Canada after living in the USA for 12 years. Our son is on Cimzia injection in USA and it is working a treat. My understanding is that Cimzia is not passed in Canada for crohn's and I am very concerned with this. James had surgery last july, his recover with Cimzia is so positive and visible the kid is living a "Normal life." except for his meds on Sat. He was also diagnoised with ankleing spondicilitus and while recovering from surgery it kicked in big time. ( forgive my spelling.) That is a type of arthritis and Cimzia is used for that in Canada? Please advise, thanks so much.

nogutsnoglory

I'm not familiar with the Canadian health system but maybe a rheumatologist can prescribe it for arthritis. I don't know how often they would prescribe it off-label for Crohn's but you have a case to go on.

My GI has mentioned Cimzia to me (in Ontario) as a possible treatment if Humira doesn't work. I got impression it was in final stages of clinical trials for Crohn's, but not sure.

Yes, in Ontario, Canada. I have another appointment at the end of the month and I can ask then. I believe only approved use in Canada at this time is for rheumatoid arthritis.

PsychoJane

Last year, my GI seemed to say cimzia was not likely to be approved in my province (at least) for crohn because there was other therapies that would get on the market before the #paper#legal#financial matter#things related to our system would be sorted. Not exactly this but that's the idea. It is approved in Canada for RA, that I know for sure, but for crohn, my informations are still a bit foggy.

The health juridictions is different in all provinces and if I am not wrong, it is not even approved here for RA (By that I mean that the province is not likely to cover it if you are only covered by the public system - It is probably possible to get it through a private insurer if it is offered by the employer for instance). Basically, a lot as to do with the province you are heading to. I think there must be a way (considering he also as SA) to get it for arthritis-related condition. Have you called the "health minister" of the province you are heading to? That is what I would do for Quebec, I don't exactly know for the other provinces unfortunately :(

nogutsnoglory

I'm not sure what the process is like in Canada but is it possible to get it off-label for Crohn's? A lot of drugs are used for other conditions they aren't approved for. Just because it isn't approved doesn't mean it doesn't work it can simply mean the pharmaceutical company didn't want to spend the enormous time and money to validate it.