• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia injections

Well, the nurse just left and I managed to inject myself with two rather loaded needles of Cimzia. One in my belly and one in my leg. It went well even though I felt a bit nervous - it is rather a thick liquid so it takes a bit of time getting it all in but I did it! No more driving to the clinic, being hooked up to an IV, waiting for 3 hours, so that is the best part! Now, hopefully this drug will not give me any side effects like the awful joint pain that the Remicade was giving me and I can be ALMOST normal lol

I don't have enough fat to do it myself so I'm having to get an appeal for a homehealth nurse to inject me. My doctor where I live isn't the best and alwasy hangs up on me and stuff so I switched to my primary doc at Vandy and they are very helpful. I'm glad you were able to do it yourself but I'm not so lucky. I just can't pinch any fat by myself and stick the needle in. I always have to hold my fat so the nurse can do the injection.

Way to go Carolyn!!:applause: It's that first shot you give yourself that's the hard part. I've been giving myself B12 shots in my thighs for about 25 years and I still remember the first one I did. I sat on the floor so if I fainted, I wouldn't have far to go, LOL. Didn't faint! I was on Humira for a year or so and that medication burned like fire. I changed from self-injecting pen to pushing the med in myself and it was alot easier when I could control how slowly I put it in.

I have a horse and he needed shots way back when and I figured if I could give him a HUGE shot, I could give my self this tiny little one

Good to hear, Carolyn! I was on Cimzia up to a couple weeks ago. I was never permitted to give myself the shots because of the mixing. I had to have a Home Health RN come in.

I quit because the shots were making me miserably ill the first day of the injection and I didn't feel that I was getting any overall benefit from the drug.

I hope you have more luck!

Jeff D. said:
I don't have enough fat to do it myself so I'm having to get an appeal for a homehealth nurse to inject me. My doctor where I live isn't the best and alwasy hangs up on me and stuff so I switched to my primary doc at Vandy and they are very helpful. I'm glad you were able to do it yourself but I'm not so lucky. I just can't pinch any fat by myself and stick the needle in. I always have to hold my fat so the nurse can do the injection.
Sorry you don't have the body fat to pinch dude..that sucks...

Thanks Guys - my husband is supportive but no one really understand but fellow Crohnies! Keep you all posted - so far no reactions...