• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia, Methotrexate, Folic Acid?

Hi all!

Sorry if this double posted, i'm still learning to use this site:

I'm new to the site and will be starting cimzia some time this week. My doc says that because my past history with biologics has been shown to lose effectiveness quickly she wants to combine it with another treatment. She wanted to do 6mp but my mom reminded me that i had a possible pancreatic reaction to it years ago.

With that being said, she now says 6mp is out of the question for fear of pancreatitus. So she wants me to do methotrexate and cimzia. Is anyone doing this? is it working? are there any side effects that i should expect?

I'm extremely nervous and i hate needles. The thought of a needle once a week for at least of year is rather depressing. But i know i need to do something quickly because apparently my crohns has been out of control, i just wasn't feeling it due to my ostomy. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

nogutsnoglory

I am considering adding methotrexate as well since 6mp never helped me. Does the methotrexate shot need refrigeration? Where do we self inject it?

Hey,

I got my first metho shot on tuesday, the nurse did it in my butt. felt like a vaccination needle not bad. the pharmacy said it doesnt need to be refrigerated. and the nurse said in my bum or in my arm. I don't know if those were the only options or if she just wants to keep the other sites clear for the cimzia

nogutsnoglory

So you will need to go for weekly injections? I thought it was a self inject but you can't inject your bum and the arm seems hard to do on your own.

yes its a weekly injection, but i dont HAVE to go for them to give it to me. I had my mom go with me so she could see how to do it if need be. But the butt shot was actually pretty high on the butt so if i had to i think i could do it on my own.

watching youtube i think iv seen people do it in their stomachs but i'm not doing that. Like i said i dont know if the nurse didnt give me that option bc that's where they'll want me to do the cimzia (thigh, stomach)