• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia not doing its job...now to try Humira.. Advice needed!

I started Cimzia around February of last year. Before that I was on Pentasa and Imuran (although I took myself off everything for a while.) So there I was, medicine free except for omeprazole every morning for reflux. And I felt good. But my doctor did not like the amount of activity he saw when he did my colonoscopy and he feared that without 'treating' the Crohns that my risk for colon cancer was much higher. So even though, I felt good. No I was not completely cured, but I felt good.. my normal was my normal, the doctor greatly encouraged starting Cimzia and I agreed. I mean when he said the C word to me, of course I was scared.

Well 9 months later, my Crohns is worse. I have an anal fissure... I always know when it is approaching time to have my shot again because I go into a flare up. I used to only flare a couple times a year. Now I'm flaring almost once a month. When I'm flaring I get pain on my left side below my ribs. I'm not sure if the Cimzia has made me worse or it was the natural progression of the disease. I sure do wish perhaps I would not have started Cimzia. NOW in order to help heal the fissure (and clear up any bacteria in my system) my doctor has put me on a two week course of Flagyll and Cipro. I'm very nervous about these strong antibiotics.. but I'm willing stay the course because I want to get better!!!

Now he wants to put me on Humira. If Cimzia seemed to make my disease worse (or for sure didn't help) why would Humira do anything different? I think my doctor thinks the loading dose + antibiotics are going to push me into remission.

In my gut (no pun intended) I do feel Cimzia made my disease worse. It definitely changed my disease-- before my BMs were predictable. My normal was my normal. Now they are very unpredictable.. more cramping and pain... now the fissure.

At this point I'm going to try Humira. But after that, then what? It's sort of the end of the road. I refuse to take steroids. I felt good off of medicine! Perhaps when the Humira stops working (as so many people have said it does do) I will try to handle my Crohns in a natural way.

Anyone have a GOOD experience with Humira? Sorry I'm not really posting direct questions.. I guess this is more of a vent. I just don't know what to do and my faith in my doctor is almost gone!!!

When I was diagnosed with Crohns 10 years ago... the doctor said we would see a cure for Crohns in my lifetime.... IM STILL WAITING!!!!!!!! :)

Sorry you find yourself in this situation. What has your GI said about the progression of your disease while on Cimzia? You may want to take a look in the Humira treatment section, here(<--click here) and get other members' experiences utilizing this treatment.

In looking at the natural approach, you may also want to browse through our diet forum, here. There is alot of information on diets, supplements and such that other members have utilized.

Maybe you could go for a dual approach for now, hitting it with both alternative and western medicine. When your testing proves out that the CD is in full remission you can consider what treatment path you want to stay on.

No problems...and I forgot to mention, Welcome to the forum. Please stick around, I'm sure you have valuable experience and advice to share and you'll find us a friendly bunch!