• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia or remicade?

Well after 14 yrs and 1 resection.......I FINALLY have an official diagnosis- Crohns ( duh, knew it all along)
I have the option of remicade or cimzia. Anyone have suggestions? Cost diff?
My insurance covers 80% until deductibles etc are met. I'm a little worried about copay. I have anthem blue cross cal-pers choice coverage.
Anyways, I'd love to hear from you all about either med.

Hope you are all having a blessed day!

I've been on both and the cost worked out to be about the same for me. Even after looking at what was charged to my insurance, they worked out to be about the same. I chose Cimzia first because it seemed more practical...just give myself two easy shots once a month. The shots didn't hurt me one bit and for a year, I was good to go. Then Cimzia started to fail me and after a long go at it, I gave up on Cimzia and switched to Remicade. I've been on Remicade since September and I'm feeling great. It is more of a pain going for infusions every two months, but even that is no big deal really.

I'm glad I did it the way I did. But I know a lot of people start on Remi and go onto the other biologics if it stops working.

Oh, and ask about the Cimpay program, they will help with whatever your insurance doesn't cover (unless you are on a government insurance like Medicare or Tricare). I think the makers of Remicade have the same type of assistance as well.

Thanks for the info! Cimzia seems like a good option in terms of lifestyle. I will check out the programs both offer for financial assistance.