• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia waiting in fridge...

I was really surprised how little information and patient accounts were available for Cimzia compared to what I found when I started Humira.
My Cimzia arrived a gew weeks ago, but I've had a UTI that won't go away (appeared while on Humira) and now an upper respiratory infection.
I had a pretty bad reaction to Humira- I've never had major rashes, but I developed a horrible one on Humira that still hasn't gone away (5 months). Humira induced psoriasis?? I'm a little scared of the Cimzia. This rash is terrible and since starting Humira, it takes so long for the smallest things to heal. I work in close contact with special needs students and am in and out of different schools everyday (15 schools in a week).
Not sure what to do.. and my GI that is wonderful is moving out of state next month...:frown:

Since Cimzia is a newer drug, there really isn't too much info out there yet. I think Cimzia is only available in the US so that too accounts for the lack of info.

I'd obviously wait until the UTI clears up to start the Cimzia. What has your doc said about the rash? Hope it clears up soon, that can't be fun. I was afraid to start Cimzia but I figured I had to give everything a try, to include a biologic. I started it in March '10 and it has been awesome for me. I feel better than I have in years. I still have slight issues every once in awhile, but I have my life back. I travel extensively and have not had any problems with infections so far. I hope for you that if you start the Cimzia you will have the same reaction I have. I know everyone reacts differently to drugs but maybe this one will work for you. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

That reminds me, for some reason, the nurse that came over to teach me how to do the injections, made me feel at ease with starting the drug. She was awesome. Have you had the nurse come out yet?

There was some mix up with the pharmacy that sent it to me. My doctor's office thought a nurse would visit, but the pharmacy told me to take it to my doctor's off and have the nurse there show me (that's what we did with the Humira). The pre-filled syringes look a lot scarier than the Humira pens! Just trying to get well so that I can try the next thing. I had a fistula repair 2 years ago close to my bladder... wonder of that tract is active again and causing the UTI.....

It looks scary but it's painless. The only thing about the injection is that it's more like a gel so it's takes longer to inject it. I'd say it's about 30 seconds per shot. But it doesn't hurt one but. Just remember to take it out of the fridge and let it warm up for 30 minutes.
I see you are in GA, wonder if it comes from the same pharmacy as mine (I live a little north and west of ATL). Is it Curascript? Too bad you didn't get the nurse, like I said, it made me feel a lot better.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Thanks- the pharmacy my insurancy company uses is Axiom- I have read that it is thick- I guess that's why it is divided into syringes per dose. The Humira didn't really bother me (other than the allergic reaction)- so hopefully this will be smooth also.
I thoughth the drug co. sent a nurse out the first time, too. I wonder if they would if I called and asked.....I'm about 90 miles NW of ATL.