• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia

Hello,

I had my first surgery for Crohn's last December. My doctor started me on Cimzia in April. I have been gaining an amazing amount of weight with each injection, 3 lbs after the last one, a total of 15 lbs so far. Has anyone had this experience, and if so any suggestions? My doctor said he hasn't had any experience with his patients gaining weight. I'm not even 5 ft. tall, so even a few lbs. make a difference. This is getting so depressing!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Bailey225!

I saw on the Cimzia website that weight gain is a possible side effect.

I would assume the weight gain is temporary (will go away once the injections stop) so I think you need to consider the temporary weight gain as a small price to pay if it will help your Crohn's. You need to be kind to yourself as the weight gain is beyond your control.

Good luck with it though and please let us know if anything changes!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about the weight gain. I've never taken that drug but I have taken Prednisone and weight gain is a small price to pay for all the good the drug can do and it always went away once I stopped taking it. I'm 5'4" so you can see the weight easily on me as well. D:

Welcome to the forum! :D

ameslouise

Hi Bailey and welcome!

I don't have personal experience with Cimzia, but just wanted to wlecome you to the site! If you search for Cimzia you can find other posts by users that might be helpful for you.

Check with your doc to make sure this is normal. Is the Cimzia keeping your Crohn's under control? Sometimes we have to weigh the good with the bad!

Good luck! - Amy