• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cipro alone?

cipro alone?

My doc at ER gave me Cipro for what will be 6 days (missed a couple doses), but for a bad bladder infection. He gave me nothing for the Flare itself; I usually get the Cipro/Metrodonozole combo or Prednisone).

Have any of you ever found relief on Cipro alone? After 2 days I am having no luck...

I have done ok on cipro alone for non crohns related infections. Flagyl is used in crohns stuff since it goes straight to the bowel/ilium area to attack.

Hi,

I've found Cipro alone is a slow burn taking at least 5/7 days to get any benefit. Adding Flagyl to the mix usually gives some improvement within a day or two. I keep a supply of both at home for use in an emergency.

Mark

i was given cipro and today is my 5th day of taking it, 1 x 500mg twice a day as consultant said my flare could be down to pouchitis (im a joucher) and to be honest i dont feel 'that' much better and ive only been given 2 weeks worth so i'll give it a couple more days before i ring him.

cipro on its own the first time worked wonders for me,so you never know, finish the dose and see how it goes.

ameslouise

I don't have any experience with Cipro, but I have used Levaquin, which is in the same class. So I just wanted to make sure you know - All Cipro users should be aware of the blackbox warning about tendonitis and tendon ruptures. Discontinue use at the first sign of tendon pain and call your doc!

I had some tendon issues with the Levaquin and two years later - still have achilles pain to this day!!

Good luck - hope it helps - Amy