• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ciprofloxacin severe reaction

Trysha

Staff member
ciprofloxacin severe reaction

I have just spent a week in hospital after a reaction to ciprofloxacintreatment for crohn's flare.
The severe reaction occurred five days after completing the course.
IIt started with a peculiar rash followed by dizziness and fainting
I was taken to emergency and immediately hooked into IV fluids, life support systems, oxygen and heart monitors.
A steroid iv was started with gravol and benadryl
An endoscopy showed duodenal ulcers and gastric inflammation.
I was not with it for a few days but finally came to and realised where I was.
The docs said I had a severe hypersensitivity anaphylactoid reaction to the ciprofloxacin.
Now I am home and suffering from acute hives which is temporarily relieved with a cortisone creme.
The benadryl makes me really ill and I have stopped taking it.
Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a cure for the hives which don't seem to want to go away.
The itch wakes me in the middle of the night
The dermatologist said it will last 6-8 weeks!
It is all very depressing.
trysha

Claratin is somewhat different chemically than Benadryl and maybe you could tolerate it better. Both are antihistamines.

Or you could try 3,000 to 5,000 mg of vitamin C, which may help.

Dan

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I second Dan on the Claritin. I can take that, but benadryl makes me very very sleepy.
I use an anit-itching lotion once in a while on my shins called Amlactin. It's like $25 a bottle, but it works really well. You'd probably want to check with a doc before you used it, I don't know how large of an area you can safely use it on.

Trysha

Staff member
D Bergy and My Butt Hurts
Thank you for the helpful replies
The rash can appear all over my body ,or just feet legs and arms.
It is highly variable.
I look forward to it leaving me in 6-8 weeks time, according to the dermatologist.
The vitC would be my starting point of choice and then maybe I will try the claritin.
Since I had such a life threatening reaction I am nervous of trying anything not experienced before.
trysha

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI Trisha, so sorry you had a reaction to Cipro,it has been a life saver for me from time to time. But as all meds, everyone is different and reacts different to meds. Rashes are also common in Crohns. Some people here have a terrible time with trying to get rid of them. Having a bath in AAveno may help too, rashes are nasty.

Sometimes probiotics can help too. Just make sure they are the refridgerated kind. I had a horrific reaction to Remicade and others are on it just fine! Hope you find some relief soon.

ameslouise

WOW. Glad you are recovered but that must have been a very scary episode.

Sarna is a good anti-itch lotion. It's not inidcated for hives, but it is a very good lotion and non-steroidal.

@trysha - I had a similar reaction to penicillin, 3 days after stopping the treatment. I was in the hospital for 3 days and had hives for 3 weeks afterwords (they told me 6 weeks). I can not tolerate benadryl and took Claritin, double dose and took an Aveno Oatmeal baths few times a day to calm down the irritation.
I hope you feel better soon.

Trysha

Staff member
Thank you all for the supportr and welcome replies.
It was a very frightening experience and it is taking a long road back.
I have been using oatmeal baths and a special creme after. This does help but the rash insists on return visits.
I also have a cortison creme prescribed by the dermatologist which works very well but the itchy rash comes back after a while.
To add to the woes a colonograhy has revealed a lesion in the intestine which is going to lead to another colonoscopy.I feel too weak to undergo this right now., and it postponed to the near future.
Rather a worry.
At least the crohns is in remission right now.
Lots to be thankful for, and I am specially glad to have the forum and so many helpful friends to call upon at stressful times like this
Thank you all
Trysha

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry that your colonoscopy was postponed. I really hope that you get it done soon.

Have you tried Calamine lotion or witch hazel for the hives? That's all I can think of. I hope the itchies go away soon, they are maddening. D:

Trysha

Staff member
I'm sorry that your colonoscopy was postponed. I really hope that you get it done soon.

Have you tried Calamine lotion or witch hazel for the hives? That's all I can think of. I hope the itchies go away soon, they are maddening. D:
Thank you for the helpful reply
I did not find calamine helpful but did not think of witch hazel,and will be trying it out
The GI won't do the colonoscopy yet because of my condition

trysha