• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Clothing Suggestions....

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in January, had 2 hospital stays, have been on Prednisone since February (currently tapering) and I'm hoping to go back to work in 2 weeks.

With being on Prednisone, as well as the lovely bloat we get with this disease, I've gained so much weight that very little of my clothing fits me anymore. I'm going to have to get a new wardrobe pretty much for work, luckily my job is business casual (and I can get away with jeans & sneakers too), but I'm looking for suggestions on clothing that will be comfortable if I continue to gain weight, but won't make me look sloppy (Dresses are out, I work with kids with behavioral issues- never know when I'll be running down the hall or helping in a crisis) . I obviously don't want anything form fitting and I'm not looking to break the bank either since I haven't worked in 3 months and money is very tight!

I welcome any suggestions from those of you who have experienced this on clothing brands, clothing types, stores or anything else! :)

nogutsnoglory

Urban Star makes great jeans that expand but they look nice and professional while also being snug. Makes you look skinnier but super comfy. I have an ostomy bag and was thrilled to find them at Costco.

Urban Star makes great jeans that expand but they look nice and professional while also being snug. Makes you look skinnier but super comfy. I have an ostomy bag and was thrilled to find them at Costco.
Thanks for the suggestion! :) I do not have a Costco near me and in a very quick search I'm only seeing online options to buy - I'm going to need to try stuff on!

nogutsnoglory

They may be at other retailers too but yeah only seen them there aside from online. They are pretty cheap so you could buy your size, they are expandable it's hard to go wrong.

I work with children that have additonal and complex needs and i wear dresses. I wear a tight dress (by this i mean not a sticky out dress if you get me lol) and really dark leggings. I usually wear a polo shirt, as this is my works uniform, over it. I also wear shirts over them as they arent too bothered about uniform tbh. Leggings all the way with me at work haha.

Ok, this is going to sound weird but here goes... With all of the bloating I get after drinking/eating I have to wear lose fitting clothes and elastic waistbands. Maternity clothes are actually a good idea....if you are ok with that.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I'm a fan of leggings under a tunic or shirt/dress for comfort. the leggings are comfy and stretchy so they don't put pressure on your abdomen.

You can make it however dressy or casual you want by adding flats or heels and jewelry/accessories. And it works well as an outfit with kids. You can get leggings for cheap at target and H&M or Target or Forever 21 I know have nice tunics as well though that's something you can buy anywhere :)

I live in leggings as I can't bear anything tight around my waist. A nice top or dress makes them smarter as does a nice pair of heels.

Ok, this is going to sound weird but here goes... With all of the bloating I get after drinking/eating I have to wear lose fitting clothes and elastic waistbands. Maternity clothes are actually a good idea....if you are ok with that.
Thanks! I was actually checking out maternity clothes online this AM. I don't know about the huge elastic waistband that would go over my entire belly though! I feel like it would make it more prominent and I obviously want to hide my growing, bloated belly. I'll show it off when I'm actually pregnant! :tongue: