• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Clotting? Lower back pain?

Hi all

I've been recently diagnosed with crohns and am 30 years old, but 3 years ago I had unexplained bilateral pulmonary embolism. Been off blood thinners 6 months after leaving the hospital, and now my gi says there is a correlation between crohn's and clotting. He can't really explain it, but has anyone else had clotting as an issue? Was healthy, young and not on any meds when it happened. I've currently been having a lot of lower back pain, which has been around since I started going to the doctor, and any time I have pain waist down my brain starts thinking I'm clotting somewhere. Any knowledge or similar issues?

Diagnosed crohn's 01/2013 start humira next week, on azathioprine and prednisone now

Hi all

I've been recently diagnosed with crohns and am 30 years old, but 3 years ago I had unexplained bilateral pulmonary embolism. Been off blood thinners 6 months after leaving the hospital, and now my gi says there is a correlation between crohn's and clotting. He can't really explain it, but has anyone else had clotting as an issue? Was healthy, young and not on any meds when it happened. I've currently been having a lot of lower back pain, which has been around since I started going to the doctor, and any time I have pain waist down my brain starts thinking I'm clotting somewhere. Any knowledge or similar issues?

Diagnosed crohn's 01/2013 start humira next week, on azathioprine and prednisone now
I've been diagnosed with Crohn's for the last couple months but in October of 2011 I had an unexplained blood clot in my calf (DVT) that caused multiple pulmonary embolisms. I spent a week in the hospital and was on warfarin for 6 mos. At the time, my doctor ran a lot of tests to see if I had any hypercoaguable conditions and I didn't. According to my Dr., if I had inflammation from undiagnosed Crohn's at that time, that could have contributed to the clotting. I hope you don't have a clot but if you are ever concerned, you should get checked out. I can relate to that fear that every pain could be a clot. I went to the ER 3 times after the first clot with leg pains that I was convinced were a sign of a new clot. The Dr's always made me feel like it was better safe than sorry. Your doctor can also do a d-dimer blood test to see if you might have any clotting in your body and if it is elevated, they will send you for further tests.

Last edited:
Sometimes people with inflammatory conditions have an increase in platelettes and this can increase the chance of clots.
Also a D-dimer blood test is not always reliable with crohns as it can come back as high even if you don't have a clot. I had this in hospital when they thought I may have a clot it came back high so had to go for an ultrasound luckily it wasn't a clot.
I would try not to worry about the chance of getting a clot but if you think you are getting symptoms of one to get it checked out.
Also lower back pain could be from inflammation in your bowel or maybe an EIM. If you feel that you should tell your GI about it then try and phone them and get their opinion it might put your mind at ease :)

Sometimes people with inflammatory conditions have an increase in platelettes and this can increase the chance of clots.
Also a D-dimer blood test is not always reliable with crohns as it can come back as high even if you don't have a clot. I had this in hospital when they thought I may have a clot it came back high so had to go for an ultrasound luckily it wasn't a clot.
I would try not to worry about the chance of getting a clot but if you think you are getting symptoms of one to get it checked out.
Also lower back pain could be from inflammation in your bowel or maybe an EIM. If you feel that you should tell your GI about it then try and phone them and get their opinion it might put your mind at ease :)
Good point about the D-dimer but I was thinking more about the fact that if it is negative you probably don't have a clot. I didn't realize crohn's could give a false positive. I would still rather have an unneccesary ultrasound than an undiscovered blood clot.