• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cloudy urine

SarahBear

I believe it's usually a sign of a urinary tract infection or dehydration. Are you feeling the need to go either more of less often than normal?

Cloudy urine with no other symptoms shouldn't necessarily be a problem. If you have no other UTI symptoms (pain, urgency, feeling unwell, etc) then I wouldn't worry too much but I would always mention it to your doctor so they can test it, especially if it is a change from your normal habit.
I did once have a UTI that was sneakily brewing quietly, then suddenly I became very ill as it had quietly tracked up to my kidneys. Usually I would get the obvious bladder centred symptoms straight away.

Do you take any supplements such as calcium?
When my son was about 9 years old I noticed he had VERY cloudy urine. When I got a sample the cloudiness would settle to the bottom of the pot. I looked this up and followed a simple test that showed that the sediment was made up of calcium phosphate crystals (TEST: simply add a little vinegar to the sample - if the cloudiness is phosphate crystals it should become clear, i.e. the crystals dissolve in the vinegar).
After a few tests to make sure my son wasn't losing calcium from his bones we were assured that there was no other problem. He has idiopathic hypercalciurea (translates as high calcium in his urine with no pathological cause). He just has to drink extra fluids in the evening to dilute his urine overnight in order to prevent possible kidney stones in future.

If this is the case for you, they may want to find out why the crystals are forming, in case it means you are metabolising something incorrectly.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replies.

You both have made me think.

I do take Tums which is a calcium supplement, have been taking quite a few for the past few months as I am currently on prednisone and I it gives me the worse Heart Burn ever.
Plus I know I do not drink as much water as I should, because I am scared that drinking will bring on Diarrhea.

I have a two doctors apt this week, My Gi on Wednesday and my Family Doctor on Thursday.

Thank you again, I just worried too fast I think. :ghug: