• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cocktail - of a different kind - inflamation getting worse

It seems my inflamation is getting worse.

I started with Aza last week with not really any symptoms so all is well on that front. Went to see GI yesterday and he said my inflamation is getting worse (didnt really need a doctor to tell me that since the amount of stomach pain I have been in!).

I am now on 7 different kinds of meds... deep breath, here goes!

Ompeprazole 20 mg
Aza 50mg
Budenofalk 3mg 3 x / day (started again today)
Metronidazole 400mg 3 x/day for 2 weeks (started today)
Vit c&D tablets 2/day
Iron tablets 1/day
Buscopan 3/day

Has anyone had this cocktail of meds before? It is quite a lot! Just want to be well enough for Christmas......

Yes, unfortunately, I think that many people here have been on a similar combination of medication all at once. It can take up to 3 or 4 months sometimes for the full benefit of azathioprine to really kick in, so it is good that your doctor has you on budenofalk and metronidazole to help with the inflammation in the meantime.

I agree with 2thFairy, it's quite common to be taking a whole whack of pills and that Aza can take a few months to kick in. Your doctor's got you on budenofalk until Aza starts to take effect.

Watch the iron pills...they can be horrendous on the stomach...be sure to take it with food.

Kismet

Thank you, it is quite over whelming the number of pills im taking. Im especially having to get used to taking the pills at certain times of the day, some half hour before food, some with food, some not with certain medications, phew!

I started on Budensonide in July for 3 months and it did not help with the D what so ever. Came off it and waited 4 whole months for all this medication... in that time the inflamation was getting worse and worse. Finally, I am on something that hopefully will help. They did orginally start me on Aza alone for 2 weeks until they realised it was getting worse (me telling them didn't seem to give them any inkling).

Thanks for the heads up on the iron tablets too. The doctor put me on those as he said I was looking pale... I not losing blood or anything, so will just play that one by ear.

Hey Betty, I know what you mean. I wasn't used to taking regular medication either ( well, apart from the Pill ) and at one point was taking 20 tablets a day. I got one of those pill organiser boxes with the days and times on them and sections that you can lift out, so that I could carry the day time doses in my bag to work.
Hopefully the barrage of pills will get you under control and into remission, but like the others have said, it can take a bit of time.

That's a good idea. I will get one of those, thanks!

Im a little inpatient I guess wanting things to work right now! Well a least for Christmas anyhow.