• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coconut Water?

It's one of those things that you never know until you try. If you can tolerate it, then it will be an excellent way to replenish your electrolytes.

There is nothing wrong with a little fructose in moderation. Coconut water has less sugar than man-made sports drinks.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question Gra. Just wanted to say that coconut water is something I'm really interesting in too. So would love to hear how people get on with this.

I've decide to try this with my 10 year old (undiagnosed). Dehydration is a huge problem for him, although he drinks between 1.5 - 2.0 liters of fluid a day he generally suffers from dehydration (dizzyness/ headaches/disorientation) multiple times per week. As he has developed bad acid reflux (currently taking a PPI daily) sports drinks aren't really an option anymore.

He's been on a GERD diet for a couple of weeks and as part of this I swapped him off our normal drinking water, which is desalinated sea water and has been heavily processed on to crunchy (lots of minerals) alkaline (PH 7.6 - 8.0) mineral waters. Early days but this seems to be having a big impact on the dehydration issue, he only had two days last week when he showed signs of dehydration and none so far this week.

However I'm not sure that drinking mineral water alone is going to be enough to get him through the hot months (we had 179 days over 100F last summer), so am desperate to find a healthy alternative to sports drinks.

From what I've read coconut water has a PH of (5.0 - 5.4) which although not great for acid reflux is similiar to unflavored Pediatric Electolyte mixes and a lot better than sport drinks which are mostly in the 2.4 - 3.5 range. So think it's worth a try.

Coconut water from the actual coconut is fine, the ones sold in boxes/cartons not sure you can try it out regardless its better than other liquids that people normally consume.

Why am I not surprised to hear that (seems there's a rule that says if it's good for you there is going to be work involved) :(

I found a youtube video explaining how to open fresh coconuts, doing it with a knife looks scarey guess I'll need to hunt for one of those special coconut opennng tools. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QGZ2NWY3r0