• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coffee= liquid death

Grrrrr, so I have decided to play a little trial-and-error with my all time favorite study buddy; coffee.

Last school year when I was a freshman in college, I had at least one cup of coffee most days. By the end of the year, I was in a terrible flare up.

Since then, I have pretty much cut coffee out of my diet, especially in the past 6 months since I have been so busy with school, trying to stay well until my surgery in May when the semester ends.

But lately, I've been so busy and getting a major lack of sleep, so I've decided to experiment a little bit with coffee. A couple of weeks ago, I had my first cup in quite a few months. By the end of the day, I had diarrhea. And mind you, I have been dealing with severe constipation due to my stricture. So it was almost a relief to have some type of "laxative" that works, but it worked TOO well and gave me the extreme opposite of constipation, lol.

So again today, the scientist inside me told me that I cannot blame just one incidence of D on drinking coffee. So, last night I only got 4 hours of sleep since I was up late studying for an exam, so I grabbed a coffee on my way to class this morning. Within a couple of hours (during my exam of COURSE) I felt the need to RUN to the bathroom.

So I've nearly concluded that coffee is a very FAST natural laxative to me. Which I guess can be a good OR bad thing...hmmm.

Anyone else have this problem with coffee? Do you find decaf to be any better? I don't know if its the caffeine, cause I never have a problem with drinking pop (aka soda to most of you...lol) or anything else with a lot of caffeine. HELP! I want my coffee back! :eek2:

A lot of people use coffee just so they can get things moving in the morning. Its not so much the caffeine as it is the enzymes and volatile oils in the coffee, so you may find decaf does the exact same thing.

If you like the roasted flavor of coffee, consider trying grain coffee. Its made from roasted barley and chicory and has a similar rich roasted flavor. Its what I drink when I am in the mood for coffee and I know my guts cant handle the real thing. My 2 year old loves the stuff made with milk. She calls it her cuppee and asks for it every morning. Its called Caf-Lib and you can find it at the grocery store by the instant coffee. It is caffeine free. I find if you use the flavored coffee creamers in it, it tastes pretty much like coffee.

Last edited:
Coffee sends me to the loo within 15 minutes of drinking it... but I still don't give it up! LOL Some things I am willing to give up - others not so much.... coffee definitely falls into the latter category considering the amount of insomnia I get (and no, the coffee is not responsible for my insomnia, it simply allows me to function after going 4 day/nights with no sleep). I usually end up sleeping the night that I had coffee that morning.

Good health and best of luck.

See that's strange for me I had to quit coffee just killed my gut when I was flaring and not flaring. But tea I have 2 green teas each day and I have no issues with that. Mine you tomorrow might be different. Oh well such is the roller coaster called my life.

Strange how we all react differently to things...thanks for the replies everyone!

Lydia said:
A lot of people use coffee just so they can get things moving in the morning. Its not so much the caffeine as it is the enzymes and volatile oils in the coffee, so you may find decaf does the exact same thing.

If you like the roasted flavor of coffee, consider trying grain coffee. Its made from roasted barley and chicory and has a similar rich roasted flavor. Its what I drink when I am in the mood for coffee and I know my guts cant handle the real thing. My 2 year old loves the stuff made with milk. She calls it her cuppee and asks for it every morning. Its called Caf-Lib and you can find it at the grocery store by the instant coffee. It is caffeine free. I find if you use the flavored coffee creamers in it, it tastes pretty much like coffee.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the reccommendation! I will certainly have to give that a try, because I looooveee the taste of coffee :)

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
If you like Starbucks-type coffees, my favourite tea replacement is a "caramel rooibos latte." Simply brew up some rooibos, pour in soy milk (froth it first if you want to feel fancy), and add a little caramel flavour (you can request the 1L bottles behind the Starbucks counter for $10 Cdn). It helps me not miss coffee QUITE so much. [AND...minus the soy milk you can drink it during a clear liquid fast!]

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
beth said:
Funnily enough, I seem to be okay with coffee, but tea upsets me.
i am the same as beth, but the usa coffee is very different form the uk coffee. i dont like the usa coffee.

I love coffee more than most things in this world and can chug it all day with no ill effects. I have had bad constipation all week though, and even lots and lots of coffee don't seem to do the trick.

I think it's the caffine for me, be it coffee, tea or pop or soda as you guys call it ( we call it soft drink here) - with caffine ie coke then im in trouble

so now I just stick to Milo if I feel like a hot drink - not the same but better than nothing

I drink lots of peppermint tea with lavender honey. It's lovely. I still need a cup of caffeine tea in the morning to open my eyes though!

I do not like coffee! I perfer tea but not with caffine. A little over a year ago when my mother was sleeping over and woke up the next day she asked for coffee. I did not own a coffee pot and she complained to me that it was immature for me not to have one for any guests that come over even if I dont drink coffee. I have a deli about a block away I told her she said go but a coffe pot cheapo! I did and it was only 10$ at target! Lol maybe I am cheap!! I bought coffee also the dunkin donut kind. Didnt know what people would like even though I dont believe that America runs on Duncan like the comercial states! In the last year this thing has been used only 3 x even with company coming over. It was a waste! my company has went to the deli in the mornings or just said no thank you. When I ask is it bad coffee they say no no I just dont want to wait for it or we will just get some on the way out. I still perfer tea! Thank goodness I only spent $10!!

D

davidindc

Coffee causes me to shit soup within the hour and feel "less than" for a few days.

Even black tea does not appear to. Green tea and Ginger tea and other herbal definitely don't as I guzzle them.

Colas with high-fructose corn syrup give me unpleasant cramps within an hour or two. Not the regular sugar ones. Love me a Throwback Pepsi.