• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cold Sores

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes, and so are cankers. Nasty things and they are painful. Mouth (tongue too) sores are usually from taking antibiotics alot, like I did. I just got over a cold sore but I get them so often I nip them in the bud asap.

yeah mouth ulcers definitely are. i noticed mouth ulcers a few weeks before i started showing crohn's symptoms for the first time in 7 years =/. i also got these strange bumps on my shins that my doctor said are also crohn's related...weird

Yes. definitely-mouth sores mimick the ulcerations from Crohn's. As for cold sores-anything going on wacky with the immune system can cause them.

Astra

Anything from the tip of the tongue
to the tip of the anus!

I have a sore tongue at the mo

farm said:
Did you say Carp? LOL
I hear pugs can cure cold sores though ;)
Yes I did say carp. I figure I'd get in trouble for spelling it right.

I'm well versed with the pug cleaning system. My nose is usually very clean.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm very familiar with the mouth sores but I wasn't sure about cold sores since they're not in the mouth.

I have a nasty one right now and I'm hoping it's not a sign of things to come. I've been symptom free and able to eat almost anything I want and I hope the med that I take is still working cause I don't want to switch again.

Nyx

Cold sores are the herpes virus...so may or may not be related Crohn's at all. But since we have compromised immune systems we're more apt to get them.

Something like 1/2 the population carry that strain of Herpes virus and if you have ever had a cold sore you will always have the virus in your system. I was told that while I am receiving immune suppression therapy all kinds of systemic pathogens can make themselves known and to watch out for it.

I get them ALL the time!! And never has any before CD. It really bugs me, but I have noticed that if I get enough sleep and dont stress myself out, I wont get them. At the first sign of that little tingle I try to pop some Valcyclovir, and start slathering on the Abreva.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Even tho my mother and my daughter do not have any type of IBD or IBS, they both get cold sores. Some from dry lips, the sunblisters, colds and stress. Herpes Simplex 2 lies dormant and comes out when it darn well feels like it..:(

Astra101 said:
Anything from the tip of the tongue
to the tip of the anus!

I have a sore tongue at the mo
Astra - I frequently get what seems like a single inflamed taste bud. Usually at the tip of the tongue. A lot more painful than it sounds. It's as though the top part of the bud swells & distends the base, causing pain. Is this what you're referring to? Sometimes the only way I can get the damned thing to quit hurting is to (might want to look away now) nip it off with a nail clipper.

I understand that aphthous ulcers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer which I've had off and on since my 20's, can also be associated with Celiac.

Last edited: