• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cold turkey

cold turkey

Has anyone suffered cold turkey symptoms coming off the pred?? I've just reduced to 5mg every other day and had the worst night last night with restless legs, nightmares, night sweats and generally feeling rotten and i'm not sure if it is related to the steroids. I've been on them for 5 months now and was wondering if these symptoms were due to prednisolone withdrawal. Thanks for any advice

I can tell you that I felt like crap like that a time or two while I tapered off them after only a month! But your doctor might be able to give you some advice of how to deal with it.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

I just went from 10 to 5 mg last weekend and that's how I felt. But, only for 2 days. I'm still on 5 mg and I see the dr. Friday and I'm scared to do the 5 mg every other day, since I started to feel good. I have been on the prednisone for 6 months, started at 60 mg.
I know just how you feel though, good luck!!

:hug:

Last edited:
Alice: I agree with Linda and Christy...every time I've been on pred I've had those lousy withdrawal symptoms...but if they continue more than a few days I would definitely call the doc. Hoping you can stay off that nasty stuff!

Oh, you bet! Heart pounding, night sweats, anxiety attacks, throbbing headaches, just to name of few. Pred is an necessary evil, that's for sure.

Some of the symptoms are from a rapid depletion of vitamins, so try to take extra vitamins for a week or so. Also, liquid B 12 helped me alot,too.

thanks for the replies everyone it seems to have settled now thankfully but janette thats good advice about the vitamins, where do you get liquid B12 from is it prescription?? my GP said she's do a full blood count in a couple of weeks to see what I required i'm only taking a probiotic at the mo so it might not be enough after the surgery

I too am starting to taper off Pred. I started at 60mg and haven't had any side effects of tapering UNTIL Three days ago I went from 30 mg to 20mg and am suffering with body aches, head ache, muscle cramps and a few pains back in my sigmoid area. The pred "high" is gone! But I'm calling my Dr today about the pain that has returned in my colon, he wants to know about it because he doesn't want me sliding back any bit.

that happened to me when when I went below 10mg, it settled though but on 5mg symptoms were again rearing their ugly head so I went for the surgery last week and now i'm off all medication as of this saturday when I take the last steroid so i'm happy happy happy.... long may it last!!!

thanks for the replies everyone it seems to have settled now thankfully but janette thats good advice about the vitamins, where do you get liquid B12 from is it prescription?? my GP said she's do a full blood count in a couple of weeks to see what I required i'm only taking a probiotic at the mo so it might not be enough after the surgery
No I get it from the drug store, the brand is Nature's Bounty. I usually find it at CVS drugstores here in California-you can also order it online from Amazon.