• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colds & Colonoscopies

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm the lucky one to have just picked up that Cold virus going around work and everywhere today. Have any of you done your Colonoscopy when you've had a Cold? I really don't want to cancel if I don't have to.

Thanks! :hug:

Trysha

Staff member
It's possible that the doctors may not want to scope you
You already have a lowered immune system which places you at risk of developing infections.
Best find out from the docs if it is safe for you to undergo scopes at this time.
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Called the advice nurse and she said that if I don't have a fever or are coughing that they can continue with the excitement.

Later, during lunch I got a second call. This one was to verify my appointment, apparently the advice nurse didn't put anything in my file about my cold. I'm supposed to update them tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning on how I'm doing before I start the prep. If I'm stuffed up, they recommend my rescheduling (they've had some doing the prep, then coming in and being turned away because of being congested and don't want me having to do this). So, sounds like I'm not the first with this challenge. We'll see what happens...

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Ended up calling to cancel yesterday afternoon. Was more conjested yesterday and knew they'd be saying no. So, will reschedule in a couple weeks when I'm healed. The clinic called me back this morning and agreed with my decision.

Trysha

Staff member
Sorry to hear of your continued battle with the cold but very glad to hear you cancelled the scope
It is a wise decision
The body can only take so much and with an already weakened condition that IBD causes
Best to cope with one thing at a time
Feel better soon
Trysha

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
It's been quite the rodeo going back and forth with colds. Still have a little sniffle from the latest one. I tried and tried to reschedule my colonoscopy but got someone who decided I needed to go through the question list first and was put off. So, played nice and they told me that the office would call me back to schedule but they never did. So, I had enough and called before work today. Got an appointment for 6/22 at 9:15am. Just thankful to eventually have this over!!!