• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colds & Ear Infections

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I was wondering if any of you have had ear infections with this cold virus going around. I had an ear infection before the first cold I had and now that I'm better from the 2nd cold, now I've got an infection again worse than the first time I had one. I think this one is the worst I've had since I was a kid even. I'm doing my best to treat it here at home and not really wanting to go into the doctor. But, boy oh boy do I hurt!!! :voodoo:

my little penguin

Staff member
Ear infections that persist can transform into mastoiditis which can infect he brain .

Ds had mastoiditis two years ago and we were treating his ear infection with not one but two abx

Please get checked by a doctor
They do need monitored at the very least
Hope you get better soon

Ever since I started Humira I've been more prone to sinus/ear infections....gotta make sure I see a dr immediately for an antibiotic when it starts! I waited too long the first time which caused my ear drum to burst. It created a huge hole in the ear drum that the ENT did not want to even attempt surgical repair.....Due to the hole being so large he didn't feel the surgery would be successful. My pain threshold is so high I didn't even know I had a burst ear drum! So when I start a sinus cold I have it check ASAP.....stay on top of it

Is still this group working? Is here somebody currently solving problems with inner ear infections and inflammation in connection with Crohns disease?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid that I don't have a real answer to your question. But, Friday evening my husband and I observed that I have an ear infection and have been treating it. I seem to be slowly getting better from it though a couple days later...

Yes , I keep having ear infections , both ears and they are very painful. I too have a high pain tolerance that i just don’t know something is wrong till it’s bad . Every time I go to the dr WBC is high put me on antibiotics I feel ok for a while then right back to where I was . Just 3 days ago however the top of my foot started hurting real bad now is swelled up and red and warm to the touch . Don’t know what new thing this is 🙄

Thanks for your reply. Its similar as my brother has. I logged in and trying to contact some people with similar problems as he has. We are from Slovakia. But there is no similar case in Slovakia. Actually, he is in hospital and fighting with very agressive ear infections which seems to have autoimmune character and still get worse and worse. But his ear problems are very probable connected to his crohns disease (due to Humira taking or inflammation in bowel). He is actually covered with full (maximum) ear and imunologic treatment and he is after 3 inner ear and mastoids surgeries (both ears). It seems like, doctors can not do more for him at this moment.
I am trying to find out, if anybody had some similar problems in the past and what kind of treatment does help him or her. Please, if anybody here has some similar or same experiences as my brother has, write me here or email me on julia.packova@gmail.com. Thank you guys.
I would be very thankfull for any help
☺️
🙏🏻