• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

College essay RANT

college essay RANT

[begin rant]

I've decided to write my college application essay on what crohn's has taught me and the obstacles i've overcome. you'd think it would be easy, but i'm so stuck! I can't think of what to write and everything i've written so far is crap. worse crap than when i'm flaring. I realized that what I've learned does not sound like the thing colleges want their applicants to be like. I hate it when other people complain, because I DON'T, and I find it hard to be sympathetic for people who complain... blah blah blah. on the other hand, i do have a fabulous work ethic now that i know i have to get stuff done.... i don't let crohn's define me...... my essay is REALLY BAD! i don't have very good ideas, and my writing is boring.

Another problem is that I really don't like telling people that I have Crohn's because I hate sounding self-centered and attention-seeking like "oh look at me, I have a disease, now pity me..." and that makes it really hard to write an essay all about me and crohn's.

I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!! ARGH!:ymad: :ymad: :ymad: :ymad: :ymad:

[/end rant]

I wouldn't even consider going to any college that requires those kinds of essays to get it. Don't get fixated on kissing ass and tricking people to get in. If they're not impressed enough with you, you shouldn't be half as impressed with them.

Frankly, what college you go to doesn't really even matter. Employers just don't really care. Find a college that you think fits you well. One that will bring you the least misery and give you exactly the degree and knowledge that you're looking for. A Harvard degree won't get you anywhere if the other guy who went to a state school has 1 more year of experience, or gives a better interview demonstrating that they know what they're talking about.

Colt you have to write an essay like that for every college I have heard of. It sucks but my school had us write our essays as a grade and then they told us what to do to make them perfect. I wrote about my life with Crohn's.

Oh yeah I got a 100. That was a year and a half ago. I hate college though. It's a whole lot of a pain in the you know what. RHOV good luck with college. It's hard and boring but in the end you'll end up with a job and that's what it's about. If you want any proofreading let me know I'd be happy read over it.

Jeff D. said:
Oh yeah I got a 100. That was a year and a half ago. I hate college though. It's a whole lot of a pain in the you know what. RHOV good luck with college. It's hard and boring but in the end you'll end up with a job and that's what it's about. If you want any proofreading let me know I'd be happy read over it.
I loved University. Maybe you picked the wrong course?

I

Isla

How about a different take on Crohns, instead of saying how all the terrible things made you this and that. Hoe about wording it like without Crohns I wouldn't have been able to do this and this and that and thank bajeebus I acquired Crohns because without it blah blah blah....

Just my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D.

I loved University. Maybe you picked the wrong course?
I know... I am enjoying every bit of it. I love going an learning stuff. I love having class discussions and broadening my mind... I just love acquiring more knowledge... I'm a nerd though :) I also like when people give me things to do... and then I get to accomplish them, get a grade, and feel good about myself..

I dunno... college is the best thing I've done for myself in my life. After having gone to both college and high school, I'm glad I furthered my education... I'm even thinking about going and getting my masters. I think that Crohn's has been a great thing for me because its an obstacle... before I had Crohn's everything in life came to me so easily... I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything or striving for anything. Now that I have Crohn's and I'm going to college, it makes me feel better about what I'm doing with my life. I like to make my family proud of me... and sticking it out through college with this disease has definitely done it. They wanted me to quit college or take a year off... and I wouldn't have any of it. I dunnno... in a way I'm kinda happy I got Crohn's Disease.

p.s. you'll prolly never hear me say that again :)

Jeff D. said:
Colt you have to write an essay like that for every college I have heard of. It sucks but my school had us write our essays as a grade and then they told us what to do to make them perfect. I wrote about my life with Crohn's.
Who told you that? I've never heard of a school other than ivy league that does require it. My wife and I went to a regional university and my wife is currently going to the state university. No one ever said a word about it to us. The only time I've ever heard of writing an essay to get in to a school is that my wife's current school will allow non-traditional (old) students to write an essay to justify their experience as a substitute for insufficient grades and test scores.

Keep in mind that high schools flat out lie about what colleges require and want to better serve their own needs. If they need a certain class filled they'll tell everyone that colleges want it. If they want people to join certain clubs they'll tell everyone that colleges want that. If they need you to do good on your state test for them to keep their no-child-left-behind funding they'll lie and tell you that you can't get into college without doing well on that too.

The truth is colleges look at two things.

1. What is your ACT/SAT score?

2. If a tie-breaker is needed what was your GPA in high school or your grade grade on the GED? (It's illegal to discriminate based on Diploma vs. GPA so they avoid the entire category if they can)

thank you so much, everyone!

@Isla: I love that idea! I really don't want to write a sob-story essay, and writing about the good parts of Crohn's is a very original take on it.

@Jeff: I might take you up on your offer to proofread. We're supposed to write essays in for English class and have other students edit them, but I'm not letting any of my school friends see it!

@Colt: There are a few schools who plug gpas and test scores into a formula to determine who gets in and who doesn't but most schools require at least on essay. All the schools I'm applying to need one essay (i'll use the same one), and then smaller essays as individual supplements.

I'll keep you guys updated on how the essay and college apps go.

RHOV said:
thank you so much, everyone!

@Isla: I love that idea! I really don't want to write a sob-story essay, and writing about the good parts of Crohn's is a very original take on it.

@Jeff: I might take you up on your offer to proofread. We're supposed to write essays in for English class and have other students edit them, but I'm not letting any of my school friends see it!

@Colt: There are a few schools who plug gpas and test scores into a formula to determine who gets in and who doesn't but most schools require at least on essay. All the schools I'm applying to need one essay (i'll use the same one), and then smaller essays as individual supplements.

I'll keep you guys updated on how the essay and college apps go.
I'm honestly curious as to which schools those are. Please let me know.

Colt, not all school's look at just the ACT/SAT scores. There a quite a few private schools that requires essays AND look at high school involvement in extracurriculars. In fact, the very first thing that almost all colleges look at is what your GPA was and what courses you took. A great indicator of how you will do in college is the degree of difficulty in your course load and how well you did in them. From there they look at what high school you came from and the rating of your school. Then they look at involvement in extracurriculars and sports/arts. After that if they need a tie breaker, they look at ACT/SAT scores. Many colleges don't take into consideration your ACT/SAT scores beyond a certain threshold. As long as you don't have a terrible score, you'll be fine. All mediocre scores are fine. In fact, I sucked on both the ACT and SAT simply because I can't take standardized tests very well... I'm getting a 3.8 GPA in college, so is that an indicator of my collegiate success? No, and they know this.

Edit: ACT/SAT scores ARE used to determine funding though.

Your high school doesn't make up lies about what courses to take to prepare you for college. Its simply not true. I was told I needed 3-4 years of a foreign language, 4 years of english, 4 years of math, and 3 years of science. These all proved useful for me, especially the foriegn language seeing as how any major in the liberal arts field at my university requires 4 full semesters of a foriegn language, having the previous experience, I was able to test out of a lot of my courses. Taking courses in high school in preparation for college is a great idea if you want to get a 4 year degree in 4 years... many times if you don't, you will be a 5th or 6th year senior. If I hadn't tested out of the classes I did, I wouldn't graduate in four years and I would have had to pay a full semester worth of classes extra.

High schools don't just make up a list of lies to manipulate the students... its not worth their time.

Last edited:
That's basically a list of Ivy League and quasi-ivy private schools. That's what I figured.

Katie, you may find the classes useful for your own knowledge and preparation, and they may allow you to test out of some classes (woohoo!) but I assure you few schools (basically some private and ivy-league schools) would ever request information from your high school. It's unrealistic for them to even try to look at that much information. You may have a grand total of 10 people in an admissions department going over 25,000 applications in a summer. Admissions offices pretty much just use a computerized system that ranks you based on your ACT/SAT scores and maybe your HS GPA/GED Score. Besides, most colleges don't even exclude people who meet their basic GED/Diploma and minimum ACT/SAT scores. They take unlimited admissions. People just assume they have a cap because they think that all 20,000+ schools are the same as the top 250.

My wife goes to the University of Missouri and this year is the first time in their history that they have excluded anyone who meets their minimum requirements. The reason is that they've let so many people in that there's literally no more standing room left in their classes and the dorms are over-booked to the point that they're renting apartments to put the freshmen in. There's massive building projects going on all over the campus so that they won't have to do this again next year. They decided who to leave out based on ACT/SAT scores. They raised their minimum requirement until they had shaved off enough students that they could house them.

They still never even requested information from any student's school. Their policy is that they will not waste time and money directly corresponding with high schools. It's the student's responsibility to submit any information and that's a very common policy. My wife and I have attended a total of 2 universities and a community college and been accepted to Xavier which is a Canadian private quasi-ivy University which she didn't end up attending. Never once has any of them ever asked for anything other than Diploma/GED, ACT scores (we've never even taken the SAT). MU asked her to write down her GPA on the application which they didn't even check. They got no more information.

No contact was ever made between two schools. We know this because for one each of them has stated that they do not waste resources contacting other schools directly so you have to go and request the information for them, and the law requires a release of information slip which we were never asked to fill out other than the one time my wife had to fill out a release of information slip to get a copy of her own college transcript.

Anyway, I doubt a stranger on a forum is going to convince anyone to ignore 12 years of authority figures hammering the opposite message into their head (especially if they all want to go to Harvard) so I'll leave it at this.

Last edited:
M

mrs. vr

The University of Maryland (State school, not ivy league, yet competitive) requires an essay. ( I just looked) I also went to a state university and was required to do an essay.

Rhov, I think the important thing is, the schools YOU want to go to are requiring the essay, so you need to "get 'er done!" as they say. I found a site that at a quick glance looks like it could help you, it's a paid service, but I am positive there are other free sites out there that will give some essay writing guidance, at least to help you get started. http://www.college-admission-essay.com/index.html

Best of luck. It's been a long time, but I do remember how stressful the college admission process can be. It'll all be worth it when you get that thick envelope in the mail!

Colt, EVERY single college that I applied to, including both community colleges, private colleges, and the state university I currently attend asked for a high school transcript. Your high school transcripts tell what classes you've taken, the grades you received, and SAT/ACT scores. THAT is what they look at, therefore they don't actually have to communicate with your high school... its all written on the transcript. Also, on almost all college applications, you have to put what extra curriculars/clubs/sports you were in. Here is an excerpt from my state school that indicated what criteria they use in judging you for admission:

"In its individual review of each applicant, Purdue considers the following factors equally:
  • High school course expectations
  • Overall grades in academic coursework
  • Grades related to intended major
  • Strength of student's overall high school curriculum
  • Trends in achievement
  • Class rank
  • Overall grade point average
  • Core grade point average (English, academic math, laboratory science, foreign language, speech)
  • SAT or ACT score (including writing section)
  • Ability to be successful in intended major
  • Personal Statement
  • Personal background and experiences
  • Information provided by high school guidance counselor (or other school administrator)
  • Time of year the student applies
  • Space availability in the intended program"
If you'll note the order in which they are listed and that they ask for a personal statement (aka an essay of 500 words) Here's the link to the page I received this info http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/Admissions_Criteria/Expectations_for_Fre.html

I did, however,check into Mizzou's requirements and it looks like they are a bit more lenient on what they check... it says that they check high school coursework and ACT/SAT scores. http://admissions.missouri.edu/howtoapply/freshman/requirements.php

Not all private colleges are "quasi-ivy league" colleges. I applied to 4 different private colleges (all requiring essays, mind you) and none of them were "ivy league". I applied to Carthage in Wisconsin, Hanover College in Southern Indiana, Depauw College in Southern Indiana, and Franklin College in Indiana. I am not a bad student at all and I was accepted to 3 of them and waitlisted for one of them. My ACT/SAT scores were mediocre, like I said... I think I got 1600 (out of 2400) on the new SAT. That would be equivalent to an 1150 on the old SAT. I got a 24 on the ACT (out of 36 I believe) and I still got in to some really good colleges. So I'm thinking the only thing that swayed their decisions were my course grades which WERE good.

While the ACT/SAT are important tests to take, they are NOT the make or break criterion on whether you are accepted to a school. They ARE used heavily for funding though, as I previously stated.

I think the confusion here is what's required vs. what you CAN submit. It doesn't hurt, it's just debatable on how much it helps.

REQUIRED (for the places I'm applying):
Personal statement (the Crohn's essay, which is coming along a lot better now, after the frustration a while ago)
High School transcript
2 teacher recommendations
Counselor evaluation
SAT or ACT scores
3 SAT subject tests

And all the schools have their own required supplements which include short-answer questions and maybe another, shorter essay.

I decided to experiment with Isla's suggestion to write about the "good" parts of having Crohn's. I think it will be a lot more original (even though it wasn't my idea!) than most other essays. I am a decent writer, but this essay is probably one of the most important ones I have ever had to write, and I need it to be GOOD. It has to reflect who I am and be deep and moving and whatever else colleges look for. It's getting there. Hopefully it will impress the admissions people!

Amherst, Middlebury, Notre Dame, Yale.

And Western WA University if I don't get into Notre Dame on early action.

I could end up living near you! My brother is at ND right now...

I don't think I'm a genius. Yale is kind of a stretch, but that's why I need to make my essay really good. My gpa isn't as high as i'd like it to be: it dropped a lot when i was diagnosed.

I never had the right stats to apply for ND or Yale... now that I'm in college for some reason I'm doing a lot better... hmm maybe all those people that use to say "well katie, you could have great grades if you applied yourself" were right!

But anyways... since you can even consider ND and Yale... you are a genius compared to me :)

M

mrs. vr

For the record, I LOVED COLLEGE. It was honestly so much better than high school for me. I have never regretted going for one single minute. The only thing I regret is not going back right away for a masters. It wouldn't have mattered before (I've stayed home with our kids for the last 12 years), but if I had one now, and had kept up my continuing education stuff it would be easier to go back to work if/when I eventually do. (work outside that is, staying home with three kids and homeschooling them IS work! :D )

Ok then, now I'm surprised that's all they require. I expected Yale to require even more than that. You don't have to send a video essay, a complete background check, DNA spectrum, and illustrated autobiography? ;)

Good luck. :thumright:

Last edited:
:ylol2:

Not that I know of...

maybe i should send them a stool sample and colonoscopy pics to show them my "individuality."

M

mrs. vr

Rhov, you know, you could probably get an arts grant, and get people to pay money to see blown up shots from your colonoscopy. I bet you could make a FORTUNE! :D

katiesue1506 said:
"..you could have great grades if you applied yourself"
This was part of my problem, scratch that...nearly all of my problem, at least with a crucial component. I retook the ACT practice format on my own time to disallow the ******* time limit to **** with my results (yeah- I'm bitter about it) and got 12 points higher than my timed official one (a very high result). Stupid thing was that (as my Brother who's a teacher now agrees) it partially tests your ability to take tests, and despite my own capacity for mental aptitude, I finished around 2/3's of the test (EVERY SECTION!) when I took the final official one. I overthink stuff, another downfall (of many, I daydream and appear stupid), hence my paltry score (well, it's simply around the middle of the curve). My teachers and parents were actually kinda scornful about it saying I didn't try hard enough to finish, and I took it officially twice (only 1 point better), maybe they're right about my efforts...anyways, rambling now, my apologies RHOV, sounds like you got the brains AND test taking ability to boot, I'm jealous!

I went to an Art Institute (much to my bio teachers dismay, but art teacher's delight), and it's a long story, but I agree with your decision, the one you got from Isla, about writing the positive aspects of the disease and its extensions...good idea, and run with it. I'm a very talented writer myself (helped my gf a good bit at college too), and I've noticed you exude the same just from your posting, particularly for your age. Spinning Crohns is what people wouldn't think you'd do; your initial reaction, as theirs would be, would be to simply talk about the devastation inflicted, but spun right, you'd show them that you not only took it all standing up, but wielded it to your advantage and exceled and became stronger. Knock 'em dead, make the best of it all!

PM me (or Katie, Jeff, all could help a bunch) if you have composition questions, heck, if I am unsure of the answer or direction to go, I have a good friend/coworker who teaches composition and American literature at Harper College.

Last edited:
I

Isla

Hey I only gave the idea, you are the one that is going to have to really explore and push it to your advantage. Are you going to post it for us to read?? I definitely would like that!

Thanks everyone!

It would definitely be helpful to have some fellow Crohnies edit my essay. I may take you up on it!

And when I'm all finished, I'll email or PM it to those who want to read it. I don't want to put it on the internet while my application is being reviewed. Maybe I'll post it publicly when I get rejection/acceptance letters.

I don't hate the classes in college although Bio is really tough but I hate the people who work in the offices. They are real pains in the butt that don't seem to care about other's.

I love the people I go to school with and I love my classes expecially CPR and First Aid and music theory. My English teacher is a bit nutters and sometimes freaks me out but he a good teacher. A lot of us on here would be happy to look over your paper and give you feedback. Good luck

On the applying yourself thing, I have gotten into the colleges I wanted to get into. I never wanted to go to one of those big time schools anyways, all the people I met from Yale just piss me off with their big ego's(no not eggo's lol). I did what I had to do to get a B and that was good enough for me. If I had to give up my life for a 100 I would not have done it, it wasn't worth it. I had already gotten my first flare up my first year of high school when I had a 95% average and never again is what I told myself...never again.

yeah, but my hands would NOT be for a surgeon...they tremmor a bit too much, and Ive always been under the impression (from my mom) it's a Bipolar drug or anxiety drug doing it too, I don't look like a junkie waiting for a fix, but if I try to hold them still you can see them shake a tiny bit, it's been like that for years. Although, the video games that surgeons supposedly play for hand eye coordination is a cool facet. :)

There were a lot of us at the art school who horrified either their parents, teachers, or both about or potential to do other things in life instead of art. My one friend from college Bernard was an Asian, he was brilliant and could have easily been anything, his parents pushed all his older siblings into medical/law-type lofty careers, and his rebellion to go into art disappointed them he said. To be honest if you're very talented at art, that's more rare a thing than to be brainy and made for a doctor, imo.

Yes, being female makes her entitled to change her mind..........AND EXPECT ANY MAN IN HER LIFE TO READ HER MIND WHEN SHE DOES.

:tongue: :tongue:

I bought books on women, got too frustrated, and went back to reading about string theory and dark matter.

Pen, just for fun, can you pleeeeease delete the word "hater" in your above post? I PROMISE, it'll be very fun for all.

BWS1982 said:
How goes it RHOV?

Ah. It's okay. At least I know what I'm going to write. Now I have to look at all the other essays and short-answer questions. My first application is due in a month and a half, so that's my priority right now. but at least i don't need to take any more SATs! My fall is so busy! I have at least 6 hours of band practice per week, plus a bunch of after-school activities, AND homework, AND college apps.

At least I'm not flaring (knock on wood). I plan to use my next Remicade to really attack my essay since there isn't much else to do during the infusion. It'll also help set the mood a bit.

Don't know if it's to your liking, or how it may flow, or even if it would be a good idea, but could be interesting if you started the essay in the midst of an infusion, to show that you can't even escape the disease to write a paper, depends on the style...starting it as a narrative of the infusion, from alcohol swab to final band aid placed at the injection site, for the first intro, or something along those lines...??

Yeah, it thought about doing something like that, Benson. "Here I am, sitting in the middle of a hospital with an IV in the crook of my elbow..." I also thought about chronicling the evolution of my attitude towards needles. I was a complete wimp for my first blood test, but now i can tell the nurses which vein to use.

i'll probably write the shells of a few essays and then pick my favorite. i like the idea of having something "happen" in the essay instead of just talking about it. sooooo much more interesting that way!

And we have Pen trailing BUTT, with what's this?......
Benson took the lead, he's out in front with BUTT closing in....

Tune in next time to 'As the Words Form'.......

Hey RHOV,

I wrote a college essay not to long ago...and I wrote a law school essay just last year. My advice is to at least start in the middle of a scene to catch the attention (perhaps in the doctors office when you were diagnosed....) That's what my english teacher recommended and it worked for me, then I just wrote about what I though at that moment and why it made me want to go to college (though, mine wasn't about crohns).

Also...if you're looking at Amherst and Middlebury you should totally look at Swarthmore (shameless plug, but I loved it there).