• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colon Removal

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have surgery a week from today, the whole colon is being removed, but the rectum will remain and be attached to the small intestine. The main reason for the removal is there are two blockages in different areas and the doctors fear that waiting will cause emergency surgery int he future after partial blockages become fully blocked. Humira has worked and my inflammation is down and I've been feeling great, but obviously there are old complications that are having to be dealt with. I am being open minded and hoping for the best as they have told me that I wouldn't need a bag as long as things go smoothly.

I guess I just wanted to see if there is anyone out there that has had the colon removed and kept the rectum, resulting in no bag. I understand recovery is different for everyone, but how was your recovery and how do you feel now? I am very active, pretty healthy, and young (27 yr old) so we are hoping for a smooth recovery. Did anyone have any symptoms of Crohns immediately after? long term? I am planning on going through with the surgery as I do not have time to wait with a baby coming in about 6 weeks so I want to make sure that I am of help to my wife, but also healthy for the long term. They have indicated that immediately I will not be on any meds.

Hospital is University of Chicago if anyone has any reviews or comments about surgery there.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I don,t know the answer but I,d go with my doctor,s advice and your gonna be a new dad (excellent)soon,you need to be well.good luck all the best

I'm having almost the same surgery in 2 weeks, just broken down into 2 steps...first round is the colectomy w/ileostomy and the second round is the "pull down" to reconnect. My crohns is isolated to my large bowel and rectum, so the hope is to get me healthy enough to where the pull down can definitely happen. If not, then I'll just have the bag until some new innovation comes down the pipeline. I'm young too, only 25. Would love to be more active and start a family but I'm not healthy enough to lead a normal life right now.

Good luck with your surgery, hope everything goes smoothly!

HD

I'm not sure if this will reassure you or not, but I did have my colon removed and rectum joined to my small intestine, but only for 4 1/2 years, then I had permanent ileostomy surgery last year.

I recovered from the surgery itself easily enough, besides one infection, but the colon removal just didn't work for me - I wish I'd had the ileostomy much earlier - it was always kept as a "last resort" but it's been the most successful surgery I've had and I much prefer life with an ileostomy.

So although I can't say that colon removal helped me, I can hopefully at least give you some hope that a bag is not such a bad thing.

Bear in mind you probably won't be recovered from the surgery for at least a couple of months. You'll need to wait at least that long before attempting anything physically strenuous and in particular avoid bending and lifting.

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have surgery a week from today, the whole colon is being removed, but the rectum will remain and be attached to the small intestine. The main reason for the removal is there are two blockages in different areas and the doctors fear that waiting will cause emergency surgery int he future after partial blockages become fully blocked. Humira has worked and my inflammation is down and I've been feeling great, but obviously there are old complications that are having to be dealt with. I am being open minded and hoping for the best as they have told me that I wouldn't need a bag as long as things go smoothly.

I guess I just wanted to see if there is anyone out there that has had the colon removed and kept the rectum, resulting in no bag. I understand recovery is different for everyone, but how was your recovery and how do you feel now? I am very active, pretty healthy, and young (27 yr old) so we are hoping for a smooth recovery. Did anyone have any symptoms of Crohns immediately after? long term? I am planning on going through with the surgery as I do not have time to wait with a baby coming in about 6 weeks so I want to make sure that I am of help to my wife, but also healthy for the long term. They have indicated that immediately I will not be on any meds.

Hospital is University of Chicago if anyone has any reviews or comments about surgery there.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
So, will you remove caecum also? I have a question. Here, in India, stem cell therapy is very famous these days. Do you think that by banking one's stem cell, can avoid these kinds of complications in the future?