• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy Alternatives

I'm having some problems lately and think that the doctors will probably want to get a 'closer look'.

The only problem is that my strictures are so severe that they couldn't even fit a paediatric scope through.

Any ideas what might be suggested?

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hi CL,

Hmm what about a barium follow through where you drink the barium and do a series of x-rays as it travels your small bowel?

Another option would be barium enaema if its your colon/large bowel that is affected.

CT with contrast is possible.

General Abdominal X-ray.

Nuclear Med scan to look for inflammation. They take some of your blood, spin out the white cells in the lab, tag them with radioactive stuff and give it back to you. Then about 2 hrs later you go have some scans. Had it done in July along with barium follow through, abdo x-ray and CT with contrast (was I busy or what ;-)). They told me it looked for continuing inflammation that may not show up in blood tests or other scans if you are still clinically unwell.

Thats just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Different scans etc give different pics and definition so they may use a combo with you to put the pieces of the current puzzle together.

Hope this helps and you get some answers soon CL.

soupdragon69 said:
Hi CL,

Hmm what about a barium follow through where you drink the barium and do a series of x-rays as it travels your small bowel?

Another option would be barium enaema if its your colon/large bowel that is affected.

CT with contrast is possible.

General Abdominal X-ray.

Nuclear Med scan to look for inflammation. They take some of your blood, spin out the white cells in the lab, tag them with radioactive stuff and give it back to you. Then about 2 hrs later you go have some scans. Had it done in July along with barium follow through, abdo x-ray and CT with contrast (was I busy or what ;-)). They told me it looked for continuing inflammation that may not show up in blood tests or other scans if you are still clinically unwell.

Thats just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Different scans etc give different pics and definition so they may use a combo with you to put the pieces of the current puzzle together.

Hope this helps and you get some answers soon CL.
Thanks. Useful stuff :)

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I had the same thing -- really severe strictures and inflammation that couldn't even pass the pediatric scope through. It's improved though.

I agree with the above -- I had a CT scan and it gave a good indication. The best was the Upper GI series with small bowel follow-through. It was really, really clear on that one.

Best wishes and hang in there.

Cara Fusinato said:
I had the same thing -- really severe strictures and inflammation that couldn't even pass the pediatric scope through. It's improved though.

I agree with the above -- I had a CT scan and it gave a good indication. The best was the Upper GI series with small bowel follow-through. It was really, really clear on that one.

Best wishes and hang in there.
I'm not sure if mine will ever get any better. I think the majority is scar tissue. At least I don't have to have scopes any more [/Silver lining]