• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy/Balloon Dialation

Hi all,
Went for colonoscopy/Balloon Dialation yesterday,prep was definately the worst part,very anxious when I got there,but staff excellent,Gastro said he would give me four viales of cocktails to sedate me,we'll they did not work,I did not shut up talking.Gastro asked if I felt drowsy I said no,I felt ready to party!!!!!!
Well he got to the Anastomosis at Neo terminal Ilieum with no probs at all,to be honest it was a breeze,but could not dialate as he said it was to tight.He pushed the area whilst scope inside and asked if here was any pain,I said no.
He then took the camera out and said all ok ,all large bowel appeared Normal,no biopsies taken,he said not needed.i asked about stricture which I was told is about 5cm,he said he thinks it is less than that,also he agreed that if it is not causing pain,leave alone,he said he will see me in clinic in six weeks.
I was there for around another 45mins had a cuppa and biscuits and then home.
Anyone having one of these,please don't worry,they are not that bad at all,in fact I would rather have one of these than go to the dentist !!!!!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
No biopsies at all? Really? Usually they take a few just to be sure because not everything can be seen by the naked eye (hence microscopic inflammation). Boggles my mind. Sounds like somewhat good news though (I say somewhat because I still find it odd that no biopsies were taken). Keep us posted on your appointment. :)

No ,I did ask him has soon as he took the camera out,I said have you done Biopsies,he said no,bowel was fine,also put on my discharge paperwork everything appeared normal and fine.
Return in 6 weeks to normal clinic.
You have worried me now,I thought this was great news,although all my bloods I had done a couple of days previous were also bang on.So what he told me I presumed was good.

Hi Trish

I wouldn't worry about not having had any biopsies taken. My last 2 colonoscopies were like yours, showing everything normal, so they didn't take any samples. Why make a nick in your gut if they don't have to? I'd stick with the "great news" attitude.

I find the worst bit when having one is not being able to eat. The actual procedure is quite interesting and worth avoiding sedation so you can see what's going on and ask questions. I don't feel the same about endoscopies though........

Thanks Highland Rock
I feel better now,iwas wide awake as I said,He put four via less of cocktails in me,and nothing seemed to happen,Felt all the pushing and the air pumped through,but chatted from start to finish,even asking at the end when am I going to go drowsy,and yet when I got an endoscopy a few years ago,did know anything about,and that's the way I prefer it.
So yeah aim pleased with what he said,shame he could not Dialate my stricture tho,but he thinks its not 5cm as thought previous,which I think inch wise is not that bad considering.
Anyhow feel a bit off today have still got the effects of the Picolax a bit,a little wind,burping a lot as well,and I think have lost a lot of my good bacteria i have been eating with my natural goats yoghurt,as gut felt a little raw,Not too bad this evening though,think everything is starting to settle back down.
Did you get this problem ??

Luckily I don't seem to suffer after a colonscopy and don't get the gassy after effects. BTW I lived with a 15cm stricture for 10 years or so before I needed to have anything done about it.

I'm still suffering the after effects of the endoscopy last Thursday. It makes swallowing painful. Never had a problem before but it must be the banding that;s making it worse. One more session in 2 weeks time and then that should be it!

Hope you get your good bacteria back soon.

Luckily I don't seem to suffer after a colonscopy and don't get the gassy after effects. BTW I lived with a 15cm stricture for 10 years or so before I needed to have anything done about it.

I'm still suffering the after effects of the endoscopy last Thursday. It makes swallowing painful. Never had a problem before but it must be the banding that;s making it worse. One more session in 2 weeks time and then that should be it!

Hope you get your good bacteria back soon.
Thanks Highland Rock for that,You saying about your throat,lady at hospital yesterday said she had a procedure done down her throat a week or so ago,and that she had come to the hospital as her throat was still very sore,after her procedure,she said she had been choking on her food since she had something done down her throat,she was back so they could take another look,She reckoned her throat had swollen up that much,she was in danger being at home,
She said something about Polyps being removed,
Still you are well on your to recovery now,I wish you all the very best,let us know how you are going.
Many regards and thank you.