• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy Before Pregnancy

I am 27 years old, and was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2010. I am symptom free, on Asacol, and thinking about trying to have a baby. I was wondering if anyone who has already had a baby with Crohn's had a colonoscpoy pre-pregnancy. Is this something that I should do before we try to conceive?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi jaimermel and welcome to the forum! :D Sorry for the late reply.

It's important for the mother to be as healthy as possible during her pregnancy so if you haven't had any recent tests done (within the past 2 years) then it would be a good idea to contact your GI and let them know that you're looking to start a family. They will help make sure you stay healthy throughout your pregnancy and make sure your Crohn's is treated properly before you try to conceive even if you're currently symptom free (this may include some tests like a colonoscopy to be sure). It would also be a good idea to see a high risk OB rather than a regular one as they will know more about your condition and the medications you take to keep it under control rather than tell you to stop all meds and risk a flare.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)