• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy buddy

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I'm going in for my annual scope next Friday. I've got the two fer one special - endoscopy and colonoscopy. I'm feeling great and expecting improved results from last year's. But, I'm always nervous at what the doc might find.

Anyone else going in for one next week? Misery loves company.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Fenway, I know they are not fun, I just had one last Thursday... the worst part is not eating... had a Endoscope last year to check my stomach area and had a Hiatus Hernia...fun fun. I am put right out so scopes dont bother me any more.. However the 8th of Feb I have a CT scan, gotta drink the contrast, I hope it was like the last time, just tasted like water.

What are they looking to find in particular? I feel for ya, keep us informed ok!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hoping to show that inflammation has gone down since a year ago. Then I was on pred and about to start 6mp.

I have a hiatus hernia too. Scoping just to make sure things look ok and no issues from my GERD. Last upper scope was in 2004.

My visit for the colonoscopy is 12 Feb. The doc always gives me a color print out of the pics to bring home with me. Hope to compare to the last one and see no difference. Good luck with yours!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Good luck, Booker! I'll be thinking of you the night before when you're prepping. Ugh...I'm so not looking forward to this.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Fenway and Booker, what type of prep do you have to take and do you have a choice? If you can Pico Salax is waaaaay better! Good luck to both of you. May your innards be clear!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I've got the Miralax prep. Used it last two times and it was great. Tasteless and all I had to do was drink a gallon of Gatorade with it.

Any good books you recommend? I need some reading material for the night before...LOL!

Heya Fen, haven't seen you around much lately, whicch i hope means you are good!?
You will be fine with the scopes as you've done it before. Dunno about the reading, I'd find it hard to concentrate, but perhaps a little tv or radio on the bathroom for company?

good luck Fenway... hope the procedure is easy for you, and the results are good ones.

i'm having an MRI scan sometime in the next few weeks. never had one before... been told by various people it's very noisy, very claustrophobic and takes ages. kinda wished i hadn't asked.... lol

dingbat said:
good luck Fenway... hope the procedure is easy for you, and the results are good ones.

i'm having an MRI scan sometime in the next few weeks. never had one before... been told by various people it's very noisy, very claustrophobic and takes ages. kinda wished i hadn't asked.... lol
Ask them to sedate you, if needed. The only way I can do MRI's is if they dope me up real good on valium. During my last ones (which took an hour and a half of feeling like you're laying in a coffin), I managed to doze off inbetween pics which seemed impossibly considering you feel as if you're inside of a noisy train, LOL.

Good luck Fen, hope things are looking better in there.

Ding, I have had a few MRI's they arent really that bad, some machines are more claustrophobic than others. The newer ones are actually quite spacious. But yeah like Nessa said its like being in a train, but the last time I had one I fell asleep, the sound was kind of soothing like going for a long car ride :)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Fen, I just have to tell you that every time I read the heading "Colonoscopy Buddy", I think of a personal add on Craig's List.......

farm

Captain Insaneo
imisspopcorn said:
Fen, I just have to tell you that every time I read the heading "Colonoscopy Buddy", I think of a personal add on Craig's List.......
LMAO, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Hee hee..that would be funny! "I just need someone to hold my hand during the procedure!"...

Fen - good luck with the scopes - and the poopy party the night before. If you get bored you know we are always good for a little distraction.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Now that's funny. I didn't think of that (obviously)...but that's wrong!

Ding, I had an MRI last year. Not so bad. It's a bit claustrophobic but I just closed my eyes and counted. It was over soon enough.

Am I confusing a CAT scan with the MRI here? Don't they have the new ones that are a big donut - basically opened all the way? I believe mine have always been done that way except when I had to have an MRI on my knee - THAT was super tight. It was on one of those MRI's they cart around on a semi-truck rig that they parked out back of the ortho office. Hopefully yours will be an "open MRI" type deal Ding.

Did anyone else feel the MRI magnets pulling around them? That sort of freaked me out. I had an abdominal/pelvic done and I could swear I felt my insides being pulled around. Or maybe it was just all the valium I was doped up on? ::snort::

I'm severely claustrophobic, but it ended up not being as bad as I thought. Oh, they also gave me headphones! Bad thing was is that they put it on crappy music, but I guess it was better than nothing, LOL.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I just asked for mine to be scheduled for next Friday so I could be your buddy, but apparently I don't need one. Good luck Fen, I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

dingbat said:
The one I had, they had fresh air being pumped through it, so it didn't feel as enclosed as I thought it was going to feel. I was very worried about that part of it, but I was fine. Your toes are free too, it's not like you are strapped down or anything - it's not bad at all.

The MRI for me was quite a challenge! The machine part was okay as they leave your head out when doing intestines, but I had to drink a LOT of stuff first and then they had to squirt water up my butt and it took every ounch of willpower for me to hold it all in for 4o minutes!!!

The Miralax and gatorade is the way to go. I recently had colon, endo, SBFT, and today video capsule. Yikes I hope a few years can pass before going through those again. CT scan x2 and MRI last June. I just close my eys and listen to the music. You will do fine. I hope the results are good!

Jettalady said:
Clive Cussler... myself and my hubby and I just love him. Lots of non stop action and he is pretty funny too!
Second that for reading material. His books are an easy/fast read and hard to put down. I had watched his TV show (Sea Hunters) but never read one of the books until a couple of weeks ago. It was great!

I was just chatting with my GP yesterday and he filled me in on the yearly scope thing. Am I right in thinking that is standard procedure for us once we get sorted out?

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
My doc said annually after you've been diagnosed for 7 yrs.

It's preventive screening for colon cancer. I wish they had those frequent guest cards I get at the car wash ... Buy 10 and get one free. Or at least a free air freshener or something.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
kenny said:
Second that for reading material. His books are an easy/fast read and hard to put down. I had watched his TV show (Sea Hunters) but never read one of the books until a couple of weeks ago. It was great!

Yeah, my hubby is a scuba diver, and I snorkled in Cozumel, like being in an aquarium. We have seen all the sea hunter episodes lol. Not all of his books are about diving, but he has a good sense of humour. Good reading.

Sorry for hijacking Fen but his books are good, like chips betcha can't eat (read) just one :lol: .

Good luck on your test Fenway!!

I'm still laughing from v shirleys "Take lots of pics for us, LOL."
Any how, good luck...I am so happy to hear some are doing well on this site! Sue :)

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Jettalady said:
Sorry for hijacking Fen but his books are good, like chips betcha can't eat (read) just one :lol: .

Good luck on your test Fenway!!
No need to apologize at all! I'm may pick up one if his books for bathroom reading the night before. Lord knows I'll need it.

Sue - nice to meet you. I am doing well, thanks. And don't dare me on photos...or I will snap one! LOL.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I wonder if the frequency for the colonoscopy every year is for people whose disease is in the Colon????.....I've had the disease 12 years and have only had 3 done......

Edit: I'd be willing to pay for those pics of Batman's colon.....

Last edited:

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Peaches said:
I supposedly only have it in the colon (currently) and I get mine every 4 or 5 years (surveillance they call it).
Mine's only in the colon too, but my doc said annually for surveillance after having been diagnosed 7 years. Either that or she's really really interested in looking up my butt. LOL.

And, Shaz, how can I possibly smile for the camera with a scope down my throat?

Lol I swear when drs get a crohnie in there like
"hmmmmmmmm how do we wanna embarrass this person this time???
O I know how about we make them drink this then I'll shove this......"

lmao

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Listen...I am a nurse. I have inserted many a NG tube....I now have a whole new appreciation for them....They are from the devil!!!!

Hey Fen, Sorry i missed this thread havent been on much of late. I hope all goes well and that you are immature enough (as am I) to giggle after the proceedure when they roll you into the fart room! Remember the whole key to the humor is trying to make a persons name out of each fart. Good luck and write down the better names for us. :ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2:

Another great author---James Patterson- fast paced, quick chapters good stuff1

Last edited:
thanks everyone for all the advice on the MRI - i'm having it tomorrow :( getting a bit nervous now. someone told me that you're in constant voice contact with the radiographer, and that if you need to get out quickly they'll stop the scan.... i find that quite reassuring, and will keep that in mind as my get out plan if i can't hack it.

has anyone had an weird effects from the stuff they give you to drink, or the injection?

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Ding,
I had an MRI done last year when I was having recurring headaches. I just sat in a tube. It was a really easy test. Hardest part was making sure to stay still. I ended up just counting to myself.

You'll be fine.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hi Dream,
mine went well and thought I posted elsewhere about results. cleanest scopes of my life! Stuck on 6mp indefinitely.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Erazer,
I've posted about 6-mp elsewhere. It's the same drug as Imuran but supposedly body breaks it down slightly differently.

Astra

Hi Ding
best advice I can give you- the MRI is a big 'polo' thingy and it is quite tight and your arms are restricted, so ask for your IV to be put in your hand not your arm so needle doesnt squash, that hurts, your hands remain free so you'll be able to move them
Its noisy but you wear headphones, cos radiographer needs to tell you when to breathe in etc
mine took i hour 10 mins and was ok, just dozed
drove home ok, no effects
good luck
xxx

I had my colonoscopy today and i have to have surgery... will be meeting with surgeon tomorrow to find out when they will be cutting me open.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Wow Mark, do you know where, how much? What kind of surgery? And how do you feel about it? Let us know what the surgeon says.