• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy done Friday, feel like there's "nothing" wrong

Hello All:

I am new to the forum and have read numerous posts. I just want to get some other perspectives. So, 10 years ago I was really sick and was diagnosed with colitis. For the last 10 years I have had insurance off-and-on and have put off another colonoscopy. I have had blood in my stool, nausea, diarrhea, chills, extreme fatigue, sick all the time, stomach cramps, pain while going to the bathroom, weight loss, etc for the last 10 years almost every day.

My stool is different colors of the rainbow at times. I have had yellow, regular, blood, white, white and tan, etc. I seriously never want to eat and never have a craving for anything (except chocolate). I have had high white counts while I have bad stomach problems and always knew it was from this. About 4 months ago I put on like 12 pounds and thought that was weird. It was only in my stomach because my pants fit everywhere else. I also was having really bad constipation and pain and pressure in my pelvis. My regular doctor is an idiot and said nothing was wrong after tests.

So, I went to the gyno (I have endometriosis and was worried it could be something) and she said I have pelvic floor dysfunction. She stated this could be causing the constipation, etc. I then had some really bad pain a week later and ended up in the ER. My jejunum was telescoping in to itself. I had a bunch more tests and I guess it went back to normal.

I went to the gastro after I got out of the hospital and then I scheduled my colonoscopy. Well, just had that on Friday. The doc said she looked at my old colonoscopy results and said it didn't look like I had colitis previously, but was more like from being sick (which is weird because I went on meds). She also stated I had internal hemorrhoids and my ileum had erosions and the doc did a biopsy. The doc said that this could be from the prep or from Motrin. I don't think I take Motrin that much and I just feel like there's "nothing" wrong. I just don't get how over the past 10 years I could have all these problems and have a clear intestine and just inflammation from Motrin.

I seriously feel like crap ALL the time and ever since this pelvic muscle dysfunction "started" I feel like my symptoms are still there except diarrhea (because I can't even go to the bathroom!). Anyone have these problems or something similar?

SarahBear

Hi, asvestra! Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. Ten years with those symptoms daily sounds terrible. :(

Would it be possible for you to take Tylenol instead of Motrin? Tylenol is safer for those of us with stomach problems, so if that's an option I'd definitely switch.

Your symptoms sound like IBD to me, but with the endometriosis and pelvic floor dysfunction, it gets difficult to sort of what's what. However, all the symptoms you listed can be caused by IBD, and most of them just by endometriosis. May I ask how your GYN diagnosed the pelvic floor dysfunction?

When you were diagnosed previously, did they just say colitis, or did they say a specific form of colitis? Where did they find it / what tests were done?

:hug: I hope things get better for you!

Hi Sarah, thanks for welcoming me :). I think I'm going to try and move away from the Motrin and find Tylenol. I know they discontinued it for awhile but I shall still be able to find store brand.

I know it's so weird. I forgot to mention the mucus and the feeling of passing out. Can't forget the extreme joint pain either. I sound like a 90 year old woman most the time. My gyno just did a routine exam but also felt the muscles and could feel them spasming. I have a rx for physical therapy but have been unintentionally putting it off because no one can seem to figure out how I get a referral for it. I feel kind of uncomfortable going too. It's just uncomfortable. It's just so much at once. It's like this whole thing, then I need a follow up, then physical therapy, then a follow up with my primary and gyno and blah blah blah.

I am thinking though that if I go my symptoms will likely come back because my muscles will be "normal". Which can be a good or bad thing. I just don't know if you haven't had really bad flares in a few months if it's any different than how I was before all this muscle problems that "calmed" my bowels.

I was only 17 when I was diagnosed originally and woke up in the middle of the procedure. So I don't remember much. Plus I don't have my records. It wasn't a specific colitis dx, just colitis, don't remember where. I was to take 6-8 Asacol a day. Which I did for about a year.

My mom lost her insurance and I was working retail and going to school so I didn't have insurance for awhile. A friend of mine has colitis and he gave me some Asacol. I took them when I felt most sick and they were amazing! Took the bloating away, the pain.

I did have a weird case of mono a few years back (not from kissing, I was too busy with school and I'm a germ freak so I don't think from that). I was super sick and my moron doctor said it was a sinus infection. Well it wouldn't go away. So I went to urgent care and it was mono. Well I couldn't take off work or school, I had bills to pay, and got worse. Ended up in the ER because of the pain but was alone there and scared so I left. It took forever for the mono to go away. I had to take some mushroom complex and it's the only thing that worked.

Weird things like that happen to me within the last few years. I've never had strep throat in my life, tonsils are out, last year I got it twice within a 3 month period. It took almost 2 weeks to get my voice back.

Anyone ever have that kind of stuff happen? I'm afraid to know, but I want to know. I don't want to go on prednisone. I'm afraid to go on it if something is wrong.

Thanks again for your reply :)

SarahBear

This is interesting.

The feeling as if you're about to pass out could be related to either IBD or endometriosis. My GYN suspects I have endo but it hasn't been necessary to confirm with surgery yet, and my iron often drops during my periods which leads to feeling as if I'm going to pass out (as well as headaches, irritability, and nausea). Do you notice any connections between that symptom and your cycle? Or, it could be caused by bleeding from IBD. Joint pain can definitely be related to IBD; it's a fairly common extra intestinal manifestation. Have any of your doctors suggested arthritis?

Honestly, your symptoms sound pretty similar to mine. That's not really much help though, because I'm not sure what I have. I definitely have Crohn's; it's been in remission for about three years. I seem to have endometriosis; it's being controlled with BC. Then there seems to be something else as well.

As for the mono and strep throat, a compromised immune system due to IBD could explain that. Some of us seem to pick up everything that goes around - and, unfortunately, it does seem like these things can trigger flares.

Have you taken Prednisone before? Sorry if you already said and I missed it! It can be difficult, but many people feel much, much better on it. Even if side effects occur, it's usually an improvement over how you're already feeling.

Is your doctor planning to do any further testing?

I've had three surgeries for the endometriosis. They are not that bad but you are super bloated (even more so than normal) for awhile. They pump air in your stomach. It's ridiculous. I'm on birth control too and apparently it's helping because I was told my endometriosis doesn't seem too bad. I feel like my hormones are still on a roller coaster and I get moody, tired, etc during that time.

I've taken prednisone for other stuff in the past. It works, but the side effects suck. I actually received my test results back. Apparently I abuse Motrin. Well that's what my report basically said. I called the doctor for the results and they said everything came back normal and I should make a follow up appointment for 2 weeks. Really? So I abuse Motrin, because that's what people abuse, and there's nothing wrong but make a follow up appointment? Makes no sense so I told them to forget about it.

I start physical therapy for pelvic floor dysfunction soon and I'm thinking once this gets worked out ill check out another doctor. I guess having to drink miralax everyday (when I don't have diarrhea on a regular basis) and diarrhea with blood and mucus is normal. I swear, these doctors are jerks.

Thanks for responding. It's good to not feel alone. Do you know if your stomach issue isn't acting up at that time will it show on a colonoscopy?

SarahBear

The follow up appointment is likely just to go over the test results with you in person and answer any questions you have.

How often do you take the Motrin? Just kind of interesting, but as far as I can tell, my Crohn's symptoms began after taking a lot of Motrin. I was about eight and my eyesight was terrible, so I kept getting really bad headaches. Instead of taking me to the doctor, my mom kept feeding me Motrin - to the point that my body apparently adjusted to it and it stopped working; I had to keep switching meds. There's a thread on the forum somewhere, where people speculated at what may have caused their IBD, due to the timing, and it really surprised me how many others said ibuprofen use as well. I've been searching for the thread to show you, but unfortunately I can't find it at the moment. :( If I do, I'll edit it in.

It's not good at all if you're having blood and you doctor isn't pushing to figure out what's going on. If you feel like they stop trying to help you, please try to find a new one. You definitely need answers.

Unless you have scar tissue caused by past inflammation, scopes - and even biopsies - done while in remission don't show anything that would indicate IBD. My last set was completely clear - no sign of current or past disease.

Have you had a capsule endoscopy or MRI to try to see your small intestine (again, sorry if you said and I missed it)?

It could be that you are dealing with NSAID induced colitis, since they mentioned you have been taking too much Motrin and it is an NSAID

Here is some info:

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may adversely affect the colon, either by causing a non-specific colitis or by exacerbating a preexisting colonic disease. Patients with NSAID-induced colitis present with bloody diarrhoea, weight loss, iron deficiency anaemia and sometimes abdominal pain. Colonoscopy may be normal or may show inflammation, ulceration or diaphragm-like stricture. Histology often concludes to nonspecific colitis. NSAIDs may cause perforation or bleeding of colonic diverticula, may cause relapse to inflammatory bowel disease and may exacerbate bleeding of colonic angiodysplasia. Pathogenesis of NSAID-induced colitis is still controversial. Local and/or systemic effects of NSAIDs on mucosal cells might lead to an increased intestinal permeability, which is a prerequisite for colitis. Treatment of NSAID-induced colitis should be to discontinue the drug, or at least, to reduce the dose as much as possible. Sulphasalazine and Metronidazole have been successfully used in few studies. Surgery is often indicated in case of life threatening complications or untractable symptoms.
source

And motrin could fall in to the over the counter NSAIDS

A few different types of NSAIDs are available over the counter:
Aspirin (Bayer, Bufferin, Excedrin)
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB)
Naproxen (Aleve)
source