• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy ? inflammtion ?

hi all as usual i am picking your ever experienced brains , hope all are doing ok , i have had my colonscopy and it was soo painfull at one point anyways they found some inflammtion at this point ( its was all red and sore looking slightly bumpy .... they were kind enough to show me the difference ) does inflammtion mean it can still be ibs ??

hi all as usual i am picking your ever experienced brains , hope all are doing ok , i have had my colonscopy and it was soo painfull at one point anyways they found some inflammtion at this point ( its was all red and sore looking slightly bumpy .... they were kind enough to show me the difference ) does inflammtion mean it can still be ibs ??
Where actually was the inflammation then? Did they take biopsy's? I found the colonoscopy ok. It was the gastroscope I struggled with :-(

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Yes, location of inflammation, severity of inflammation and biopsy reports combined will be better at helping determine whether it is IBS or IBD.

My colonoscopy was not that bad. A bit uncomfortably gassy but it passed after the first day.

Try to avoid foods that encourage bloating/gassiness if that is the type of pain you are experiencing. Wait until this discomfort subsides and you release the gas.

However if you are still experiencing pain after a few days contact your doctor and let them know.

I've read conflicting things ... IBS does NOT have inflammation ... and ... IBS can have some mild inflammation ... so I do not know. Good luck with the rest of your test results. I hope you get some treatment that helps.

Hi fosters chick! How have you been lately?
My scope had small area of inflammation which biopsies didnt diagnose anything. so i still have IBS.. but i dont have symptoms that require treating right now :)

It is still abnormal.. and if it was painful there during the scope.. doctors may still treat you with prednisolone or something.. at least then you might feel better. but hopefully your biopsies will give some answers :) xx

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Dannysmom, I've read the same thing. Apparently IBS can supposedly cause very mild inflammation, but I doubt it would be cause enough inflammation to be seen on scope. And the skeptic in me thinks that if people have inflammation, then the IBS diagnosis is likely incorrect and they probably have some form of IBD or something else similar that causes inflammation. I just cannot fathom that IBS would cause enough inflammation to be visualized, it seems like it's got to be something else if it's severe enough to be seen. Just my opinion though.

Fosterschick, I agree with what the others said, if they took biopsies (which they should have) then those should be more definitive and will hopefully give you some answers. The fact that you said the inflamed area was "slightly bumpy" makes me think IBD too - Crohn's can cause a "cobblestone"-like appearance sometimes in the intestines. At any rate, it sounds like IBD to me although I am by no means a medical professional. I hope you get those biopsy results back soon and that they are illuminating! Keep us posted!

I agree with cat.. its only because im doing ok in the bowel "regions" lol! That im happy to go with IBS. if my symptoms return with a vengeance.. then i will chase it up.

But if you are in pain and inflammation was seen. regardless of what biopsies say.. they should still treat the inflammation. we all know what IBD stands for ... so definitely agree with cat

Thanks all for msg ! I have beenm pretty off so hence t delay in thanks to u all , I am back on gluten free and steriods and that is helping , I think I inflammtion was on the bend on t top left bit as this bit really hurt and also bottom right was super painful during proceedure but I wasn't giving up till t damn thing came outa my mouth !! I want to get this thing sorted . I am back to toilet trip withj wat I can only describe as flat poop lol xx thanks again all ur advice and excperience really helps xx