• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy medication

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday to assess the colonic involvement of my Crohn's. I have had two CT scans this year which both showed some stricturing. I was told I could go under all the way (with Propofol) and wait for a while to get the test scheduled, or I could have a lighter sedation (with Fentanyl and Versed) and have the test done sooner. I opted for the first available appointment, which was the lighter sedation option.

I haven't had a colonoscopy in 7 years and my disease has progressed quite a bit since then, so I'm worried about pain. Has anyone had a colonoscopy with strictures and used the lighter sedation option, which I would guess would be like a twilight sleep? The GI doctor feels like I'll be out of it anyway and won't feel anything, but I'm still concerned.

I had the lighter one you mention for my last two occasions. I do have stricturing, including in the rectum where I had a dilatation performed. I have absolutely no recollection of the scope ever going in, but have vague recollections of polyps being removed. If they give you the correct doses, you have absolutely no reason to be concerned about this.

Thanks, that helps put my mind at ease. I chose the sooner appointment because we need to assess whether I have to have surgery or continue my current medical therapy, and I wanted to get the colonoscopy over and done with ASAP.

I can't speak from my own personal experience, as I'm having my first colonoscopy done in about a week, however I can tell you what I've heard. Everyone in the hospital, the doctor, and others I know have told me that the prep for the colonoscopy is way worse than the colonoscopy itself.

Even if you're semi-awake, you probably won't feel very much. I was semi-awake for my endoscopy, and even though its not super fun, it isn't that bad either.

I had this last week and I have a pretty severe rectal stricture. I don't remember the issues they had with getting the scope in but I do know that it took a few dilations to insert the scope.

I remember being aware and uncomfortable a few times but they gave me more meds and that helped. Now a week later I only vaguely remember it.

Good luck with your scope. If you feel any discomfort they should be able to up the dosage and help you out.

I can't speak from my own personal experience, as I'm having my first colonoscopy done in about a week, however I can tell you what I've heard. Everyone in the hospital, the doctor, and others I know have told me that the prep for the colonoscopy is way worse than the colonoscopy itself.

Even if you're semi-awake, you probably won't feel very much. I was semi-awake for my endoscopy, and even though its not super fun, it isn't that bad either.
You're right, the prep is the worst part of the experience. I'm not too concerned about that, because I've had previous colonoscopies. My big fear is the strictures in my colon, including a rectal stricture. Also, my last colonoscopy, the doctor didn't believe in putting his patients out all the way, so I felt a good deal of it. And I'm not eager to repeat that and made it clear to the doctor today. Thanks for your reply, and good luck with your first one.

I've had a colonoscopy and I have a stricture, I had the light sedation, I was only uncomfortable when my GI went into the terminal ileum to peek into the small intestine. Otherwise I was wide awake and "watched the show"

I agree, the prep was the worst part of the procedure!:)

Big thanks to everyone who replied a few days ago! I had my colonoscopy on Thursday, and it went like everyone here said it would, pretty much. I had some pain early on (or I would guess it was early--not like you have any concept of time at that point), and my doctor must have upped my medication, because after that I felt nothing until I woke up. Had some neat conversations with my husband on the way home that I have no recollection of whatsoever.